Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Casing recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowardW

Would anyone be interested in posting casing lotion receipts? I have looked at the Pall Mall receipts but for a small grower breaking that down into something manageable in the kitchen is a chore. Not looking for anything fancy, just some starter formulas that are manageable and can be modified to taste but have the main ingredients to keep leaf tobacco in case for cigarette production.

I made an attempt to convert the Pall Mall casing formula to something managable, I have attached a zip file containing an Excell sheet. Anyone good at reciept conversion?

Attachments

• PallMallCasing.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited by a moderator:

HowardW

The Final Recipe

Would anyone be interested in posting casing lotion receipts? I have looked at the Pall Mall receipts but for a small grower breaking that down into something manageable in the kitchen is a chore. Not looking for anything fancy, just some starter formulas that are manageable and can be modified to taste but have the main ingredients to keep leaf tobacco in case for cigarette production.

I made an attempt to convert the Pall Mall casing formula to something managable, I have attached a zip file containing an Excell sheet. Anyone good at reciept conversion?

Ok folks, I managed to do the math, I guess I was making it too difficult but I do have a 1 gallon receipt if anyone is interested!

Cocoa 7 oz
Licorice 0.5 oz
Chocolate 3 oz
Invert Syrup 64 oz
Corn Syrup 24 oz
Propylene Glycol 11 oz
Glycerine 19 oz
Sodium Benzoate 0.2 oz
Water 10 oz
128 1 Gal

If anyone is interested in how I got to these numbers or the writte part of the receipt just drop me a line!

Last edited by a moderator:

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Casing receipts

Is cocoa the powder and chocolate like hershey syrup?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Casing receipts

I'm a little confused myself...and then there's chocolate in the recipe as well. My guess is the Cocoa is the true ground cocoa powder (also Hershey's ;)), but I'm quite unsure about the chocolate.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Casing receipts

High Fructose Corn Syrup ?

Where can you get it , it is not the same as Karo corn syrup . At least I don't think so .

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Casing receipts

It probably doesn't matter but glucose syrup is not the same as high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). HFCS is a combination of glucose and fructose. Depending on the % of fructose you can get either HFCS42 or HFCS55. Most any beekeeping supply house would probably have it. I have not checked, but places like BetterBee, Dadant or Brushy Mountain Bee Farm should carry it.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Casing receipts

With minimal effort, and a cheap candy thermometer, you can turn table sugar (dextrose) into invert sugar, which is a mixture of glucose and fructose. (The process simply cleaves the 10-carbon dextrose into the two 5-carbon sugars--glucose and fructose.)

Invert sugar tastes twice as sweet as a similar weight of table sugar. It acts as both a preservative and a humectant, when applied to tobacco, and prevents crystalization of thick syrups.

If you've ever made jelly or jam, you've made invert sugar. By heating 2 parts table sugar with 1 part water (and possibly adding an acid, like lemon juice, citric acid or tartaric acid [cream of tartar]) the dextrose molecules are cleaved into invert sugar. The addition of fruit makes it a jelly or jam.

Once you make a batch of pure invert sugar--a thick liquid--it will keep in the refrigerator for about 6 months.

The simplest recipe I've found for making invert sugar, which is required only if you want to be precise about it--necessary when using it for pastries--is:

Invert sugar
Yield: 2 lb 3 oz (1 kilo)

4 Cups + 6 Tablespoon (2 lb 3 oz) Extra fine granulated sugar 1 kg
2 cups (16 fl oz) Water 480 ml
¼ Teaspoon ( ¼ tsp) Cream of tartar or citric acid 1 g

1. If you have an induction cook top or an electric stove use these options instead of gas. In a non reactive saucepan stir to a boil the sugar, water and cream of tartar (Or citric acid).
  2. Once the mixture boils wash away any sugar crystals stuck to the side of the pan with pastry brush dipped in water. Any additional water added to the pan from this process, has no effect on the final outcome.
  3. On medium heat without stirring boil the mixture to 236°F (114°C). Remove from heat and cover the pan. Let cool at room temperature. Store in a refrigerator. Invert sugar will last at least 6 months.

This is from:
http://www.chefeddy.com/2009/11/invert-sugar/

Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
Casing receipts

Jitterbugdude

I have looked into the Beekeeping HFCS -55 . The only thing Im worried about is that it isn't food grade .( Kosher ).
This may or may not make a difference .

Deluxestogie

Thanks for posting that recipe for making FHCS at home .

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
Casing receipts

I reduced the recipe down to a pint and I'll simmer it on the stove until it's thoroughly mixed.
If it turns out thick I'll brush it on a few leaves and bake it at a low temp say 165 to 175 until dry
If it turns out thin and watery I'll spray it on and bake it at a low temp say 165 to 175 until dry.

HowardW

Casing receipts

Is cocoa the powder and chocolate like hershey syrup?

Actually I am not sure but I used dutch cocoa powder and the result was a very rich syrup. I tried some of the finished product (KY Burley) and it smoked smooth stayed lit and was very mild.

HowardW

Casing receipts

I put the gallon I made in a 2x3x5 tupperware tub and soaked the leaves in the mixture overnight then pressed the leaves into brickks dried for 72 hours then shredded and loosely stored in airtight mason jars

Status
Not open for further replies.