Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

One Question about Electricity Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My two quart Crock Pot is rated for 100 Watts. Since there are Hi and Lo settings, I would guess it's 50-75 Watts on Lo. The wattage rating is imprinted into the bottom. I believe the 4 quart is rated at 150 to 200 Watts.

I leave my two quart Crock Pot set on low all the time. Because the water heater thermostat works by cutting the power when the set temp is reached, my Watt usage must be less than the rated wattage by at least a third.

Bob

DrBob

Founding Member
that 95 watt crockpot should be pretty close. If not a 40 watt litebulb should make up the shortage.
good luck
Dr,Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
post the results you come up with,,,

because i run a 125 watt bulb, and a ceock pot,,,and a small fan

but id intrested in knowing your numbers,, because they'd be close to mine also,???

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I put the crock pot in and a 60 watt bulb along with the fan
Also later today or tomorrow I'm putting in one of those peep hole door viewers so I can keep
an eye on the thermometer / humidity gauge
I have 7 hands of tobacco and a tray of miscellaneous leaves going.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I opened up the kiln last night and man oh man the fumes that came out almost gagged me.
It had to have been from the new crock pot outer shell it's made of plastic I never even thought
about that. It really needs to be ran for awhile before to get out the "Nasties" from the plastic.
I restarted it this morning and checked it awhile ago.I'm taking that damn thing out.
and going back to a light bulb and a water bucket and towel.

Cerasaan

One Question about Electricity Usage
Compared to a 100 watt light bulb how much more electricity does a
Crock Pot use than the 100 watt light bulb ?

If you plug into the neighbours car plug it won't cost you a thing LOL

Daniel

Banned
A 95 watt crock pot or a 100 watt light bulb. At first glance you might think the crock pot will use less energy. But that is not necessarily true. The light bulb may only need to be on for 30 minutes of each hour while the cock pot needs to run for 45 minutes of every hour.
A real life example. I placed two 100 watt bulbs in my kiln and could not get it to reach the temp I wanted it at. I then put in one 250 watt heat lamp and it runs only half the time. 200 watts of energy could not get the job done. 250 watts of energy does it only working half time. or effectively 125 watts working full time. This indicates to me that what you use makes a difference.
In a perfect world though energy is energy and it will require the exact same amount of energy to heat a given space no matter what you use to do it with. Sort of like asking if it would take less work to push a cart up the hill rather than pull it. Pulling may feel easier but in fact it takes exactly the same amount of energy. IT is the same weight being moved the same distance and being lifted the same height.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
A 95 watt crock pot or a 100 watt light bulb. At first glance you might think the crock pot will use less energy. But that is not necessarily true. The light bulb may only need to be on for 30 minutes of each hour while the cock pot needs to run for 45 minutes of every hour.
A real life example. I placed two 100 watt bulbs in my kiln and could not get it to reach the temp I wanted it at. I then put in one 250 watt heat lamp and it runs only half the time. 200 watts of energy could not get the job done. 250 watts of energy does it only working half time. or effectively 125 watts working full time. This indicates to me that what you use makes a difference.
In a perfect world though energy is energy and it will require the exact same amount of energy to heat a given space no matter what you use to do it with. Sort of like asking if it would take less work to push a cart up the hill rather than pull it. Pulling may feel easier but in fact it takes exactly the same amount of energy. IT is the same weight being moved the same distance and being lifted the same height.

sounds like we are on the same thinking pattern

im after many experiments with a 250 watt heat lamp, different wattage bulbs,,,

i decided on a soft white, 125 watt floodlight,,,,,which i have on a timer

about 2 hours on,, and 3 hours off,,,,2 on 5 off e.t.c.

but the crock pot i leave on at all times, shifting from high to low settings,,,

when i open my door sometimes i can see water has formed at the door,,,

and the inside is nice and heated and humid,,,, just what i would expect a jungle to feel like

and after much experimintation, ive found that this regiment is working good for me,

5 weeks in the kiln, is satisfactory,,,, then i let the hands hang until use,,,

as of right now ive got 9 quart sized mason jars filled with shredded baccy,,,,and a kiln full of 19 hands,,,,and a full baccy patch thats still growing,,,{ all my suckers ,,,but some of the offshoots are 3 feet long, and full of leaves,}

Status
Not open for further replies.