Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

FAILED: My Turkish Perique!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
This past July I put a batch of Bitlis leaves in my press with the intention of making "Turique Perigue". I just took the tobacco out of the press this past weekend and it was completely dry and moldy. That was a big disappointment! I've made 3 batches in the past and they all came out fine. I guess a failure when you are fermenting things is to be expected every once in awhile.

workhorse_01

I've been thinking of trying Bafra this way. Is it a matter of keeping it topped off with water? Should I drill holes in my press?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have kept a scant layer of water along the margins of the press follower (replacing what evaporates). I'll open the press and see what I have in a few weeks.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'm not sure why this batch failed. I ferment a lot of things, particularly saurkraut. Every once in a blue moon I'll get a moldy jar of kraut while the rest of the jars are fine. I chalk it up to mother nature. The only thing I did different this time was that I used a screw press and fermented the leaf in my basement. My other attempts have been made in my garage using a 20 ton shop press. The real variable here would be the temp differential. The batch outside probably saw a consistent 20 degrees warmer temp.

Of note too: I usually spray my leaf with water before pressing. I do not add additional water so my leaf is fairly dry. Adding some extra water would probably have helped by sealing the leaf from the atmosphere.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
My understnding of 'perique' process - the press needs to be opened every few days to begin with, then every couple weeks thereafter. When opened, seperate the leaf (or at least work it a bit) then add moisture if needed, then back to the press. That's what I've done on the 3 bricks I've done - worked well.

Ya can't just press it and forget it. It will dry out.
I was surprised how much moisture seems to be lost. I even kept my small press in a zip-loc bag, and it seemed to lose moisture.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Pretty sure water is needed to keep the fermintation going as it's a true fermentation like wine. The water also prevents mold. From the videos I've seen, they always have some water squeeze out around the top at all times.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I didn't go into great detail in my first post but yes I did the traditional method of taking the leaf out of the press every few days, then every few months. This time around though I did let it set for about 6 weeks unattended. I might try another batch with already fully cured Bitlis.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I didn't go into great detail in my first post but yes I did the traditional method of taking the leaf out of the press every few days, then every few months. This time around though I did let it set for about 6 weeks unattended. I might try another batch with already fully cured Bitlis.

Was this last batch not fully cured? Green, partially cured?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
This last batch was done in the real traditional style of Perique making. I hung the stalks up and as the leaves turned brown I harvested them. This was about 1 week after I hung them up. Previously, on other batches I used fully cured (6 weeks or more) tobacco. No big deal though, I'll start another batch this weekend with fully cured leaf. I'll probably use Bitlis again or possible Bucak.

workhorse_01

Is it possible that some oil or grease was on the press? When I cold pack tomatoes if there is any grease or oil they go bad.

workhorse_01

Im going to roll a carrot with bacca and keep it submerged for a month, and see if I get that sweet citrus smell to come out in the final product.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Please explain what this is guys??? I don't know ,or heard of this in all the years of tobacco ??? What I have been thought is Baccy by Gramps. Never tryed anything but regular. Please pm or put in . Like to know somthin new to me.. I'll send some 2013 Turkish Izmir seeds for any "Ima-tela-U" LOL?????????

Knucklehead

Founding Member

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Please explain what this is guys??? I don't know ,or heard of this in all the years of tobacco ??? What I have been thought is Baccy by Gramps. Never tryed anything but regular. Please pm or put in . Like to know somthin new to me.. I'll send some 2013 Turkish Izmir seeds for any "Ima-tela-U" LOL?????????

P.S. - Did you bag the seed?

Status
Not open for further replies.