Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Poor burning cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The pointer becomes a hand. Grab the bottom of the page with it and push up while holding down the left mouse button. After that, on my laptop, I also had to use the slider on the right to move each page up and down to read each page in it's entirety.

The article defines three types of burning problems due to voids in the filler. Then it advises to squeeze each cigar from one end to the other feeling for voids, if you find one, hurry up and select another cigar before the shop owner figures out what you're up to.

webmost

Some Brothers of the Leaf held a raffle on Cigar Federation to raise money to build a chow hall at an orphanage in the Dominican Rep. I figured what the hell, threw twenty bucks in, and won a box of Fratello cigars. New boutique blend, seven bucks a stick, Nicaraguan Habano wrapper fine and thin and flawless, Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper, Nicaraguan and Peruvian filler. The Peruvian gives it an exotic aroma and a tangy sweet flavor very like this fine sipping tequila I have here on the workbench in the garage. Rare. Finely constructed. More expensive than anything I would buy.

I have yet to have a one of these burn right.

I sparked one tonight. Same deal. Reminded me of this thread. Something about this filler makes it burn faster than the wrapper and binder. Every one of them tunnels. The ash is white and tight. Each time it falls, there's no cherry at all --- just a tunnel.

So it's not you. Maria Luisa Rosarita Magdalena Guadelupe Romero y Alvarez and her sister Luz have both been rolling cigars in this slave wage sweatshop twelve hours a day at the foot of the master since the age of eight. She and Luz know their business. They are artistes. It's gotta be the leaf. Maybe that Peruvian leaf hits the lowland air with all its oxygen and gets supercharged. I dunno.

Here's how I solve this:

Somewhere along the line, someone else sent me a butane lighter with a skinny torch flame. Yeah, I don't know why. People keep sending me cigars and shidt. I call it the whighter. A big kitchen match does the job just fine so why would you want a lighter. That is, until you hit one of these Fratello cigars. Each time the tight white ash falls off, I fire up the torch and toast all round the crater. The ash remaining inside the tunnel insulates the filler. The wrapper and binder fire up and burn back. That is the only thing keeps the interior cherry from strangling in there.

So what I am saying, if your wrapper won't go, spark your butane soldering torch with the skinny tip and toast the outer parts. Keep it handy as you go.

ne3go

In a google-search found that potassium must be the key to a good burning cigar or cigarette...Unfortunately, with my limited knowledge of gardening, i thought that potassium was necessary only to fruits not leaves.
So i didn't add any potassium in my soil, as tobacco production has only leaves. And my soil is poor to potassium.
I did everything wrong...for second year.How wise is that making me?:p

Anyway, some links for reading about potassium in tobacco burning:
http://www.beitraege-bti.de/pdfs/2003-20-05-341.pdf
http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/documentStore/y/w/d/ywd13c00/Sywd13c00.pdf
http://www.jstor.org/stable/2469595

springheal

Banana is good to increase potassium (but you would need heaps), I wouldn't go for potato skins unless you want potatoes as the skins can sprout and you end up with potatoes!

I know from past experience, never throw potato skins in the garden or compost. However, I have known people to use the potato skin to moisten dry tobacco. One of many fruit/vege skins works for that.

springheal

Correct, comfrey loves heaps of nitrogen and provides potassium and other nutrients. It's a stubborn bugger.

Many organic gardeners love having comfrey in the garden. I ain't got none;)

ne3go

The question is for this year's leaves. There are already in kiln for 3 weeks, and no improvement in burning. I have some more leaves from suckers, drying in my garage ceiling, almost ready for kiln.
Should i keep running the kiln, or i'm just throwing money away in electricity?
Is there a possibility to improve the burning with fermenting, or because of a bad growth with some chlorine and low potassium they will never burn properly?

workhorse_01

I think Amax might be able to help with that question as he's kilned some pretty good burning tobacco.
The question is for this year's leaves. There are already in kiln for 3 weeks, and no improvement in burning. I have some more leaves from suckers, drying in my garage ceiling, almost ready for kiln.
Should i keep running the kiln, or i'm just throwing money away in electricity?
Is there a possibility to improve the burning with fermenting, or because of a bad growth with some chlorine and low potassium they will never burn properly?

jekylnz

I think now you're half way you might as well keep going & see what happens. If nothing else works. maybe case with some scotch or rum ...may help .or some sort of sugar product??sugar always burns
I know some cigar companies age their wrappers in whiskey barrels.etc

BarG

Founding Member
I grew my first crop during a drought and over fertilized with 13-13-13 only the potash was potasium chloride. Eventualy I threw the whole crop of 300 plants away a year later due to inferior or no combustion. You needed a flame thrower to keep it lit. Fortunately thru FTT and its members I found where I went wrong and the next year produced a great crop.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Kilning may improve combustion, but there is no way to tell in advance if that will be sufficient. I would suggest continuing the kilning for a total of 4 or 5 weeks, then allow the kilned leaf to rest at least another week. If it does not burn then, it probably never will.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.