Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

All Burley Cigar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Planter

What would be the result of a cigar made from all burley? The shade grown burley I grew has huge flawless leaves I thought would make good wrapper.

What would it taste like with filler, binder and wrapper of shade grown burley. I'm thinking tips for the book filler.

Boboro

Make up some syrupy stuff and bake it at 260 degs. for a hour or so. Mix the Burly with the sticky stuff for you bake it.

DGBAMA

What would be the result of a cigar made from all burley? The shade grown burley I grew has huge flawless leaves I thought would make good wrapper.

What would it taste like with filler, binder and wrapper of shade grown burley. I'm thinking tips for the book filler.
Only one way to find out.........please share your results. :cool:

Southern Planter

It's still in the field. Bro and I plan to cut and house it Saturday. So it will be awhile! :)

I smoked some of the mud lugs in a pipe a couple of days ago. Very mild, with just a touch of sting on the tongue. No problem staying lit, cookie tin it's in is at 75& RH.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A cigar of all BigBonner red tip burley packs a substantial nicotine punch, though the flavor is wonderful. My milder, home-grown burleys (Kelly, Golden Burley, Harrow Velvet) provide some excellent wrappers from the lower half of the plant. Again, the upper leaf is more robust.

My most common use of BB red tips is 1 strip as binder, 1 strip donated to the filler blend. As a binder, the nicotine is somewhat lower, and adds a richness to whichever wrapper leaf I choose. (It seems to work magic beneath a CT Broadleaf wrapper.) It ends up as about 20% or less of the filler--the rest being the selection du jour of cigar types.

Naturally aged burley may need to hang for 3 to 10 months to complete its chemical changes and calm down. If you take note of the smell of freshly color-cured burley leaf, just wait until that "raw" aroma vanishes. While the leaf still smells raw, it won't be a fun smoke.

At the moment I read your initial post, I happen to be smoking a cigar of BB red tip wrapper and binder, with a filler made of Vuelta Abajo, Criollo 98 viso and Nicaragua viso. Rich, but not overpowering.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.