Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Aluminium Sulfate, yea or nea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALaholic

Looking to lower Ph (acidic), and was told that aluminum sulfate gives instant results that lasts. I just wanted to know what sayz the hive in regards to using it.

squeezyjohn

Raising the acidity (lowering the pH) will result in tobacco that releases less nicotine than when it's neutral.

squeezyjohn

Aha! This is in the fertilizer forum ...

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes - that's where I'd seen that chemical before!

I that case it is a standard soil conditioner to bring the pH down. It is sold here in the UK as sulfur chips - it is very effective but try to get the dose right and remember that it takes a while for it to take effect - it works better dug in than on the surface too.

FALaholic

Aha! This is in the fertilizer forum ...

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes - that's where I'd seen that chemical before!

I that case it is a standard soil conditioner to bring the pH down. It is sold here in the UK as sulfur chips - it is very effective but try to get the dose right and remember that it takes a while for it to take effect - it works better dug in than on the surface too.

It is my understanding from readings, that it differs from sulfur as it is instant, while the later takes time to compost.

Knucklehead

Founding Member

FALaholic

Thanks knuckle. I'm on the fence with this. My readings have given me mixed reviews on the results of sulfur. Some are saying that it can take as little as 3 months, while others are stating min of 1/2 a year.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Think long term if you plan on staying where you are and growing every year. I'm going to work in some rotten sawdust and sand into this clay I'm growing in. Maybe some peat and manure. My ph was 7, which is fairly high, but the tobacco seemed to do okay once the rains quit. The problems I had with soil was poor drainage, compaction, and the clay hardened up like rock when it was dry. If I can loosen the soil and improve drainage, the roots will have an easier time of growing.

DGBAMA

Think long term if you plan on staying where you are and growing every year. I'm going to work in some rotten sawdust and sand into this clay I'm growing in. Maybe some peat and manure. My ph was 7, which is fairly high, but the tobacco seemed to do okay once the rains quit. The problems I had with soil was poor drainage, compaction, and the clay hardened up like rock when it was dry. If I can loosen the soil and improve drainage, the roots will have an easier time of growing.

Watch for tree services working in your area. Stop and offer them a "free" place to dump their trailer of wood chips. Most are happy to give them to you so they don't have to travel to a dumping area.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Watch for tree services working in your area. Stop and offer them a "free" place to dump their trailer of wood chips. Most are happy to give them to you so they don't have to travel to a dumping area.

My cousin has a saw mill about two miles down the road. He has a big pile of saw dust that is already rotten. He'll load it for me. My father wants a garden down at the pond next year, so we'll prepare both places at once. We have a one ton dump truck to haul the saw dust and sand in, I just need to get my present patch out of the way. lol

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My vegetable garden was high (7.2) until I started cutting manure in. Horse, Rabbit, and Goat.

Yeah, I read in one of those articles that manure would lower pH. There were several suggestions to drop it small amounts, but to bring it down a good bit for a long time, they mostly recommended that Elemental Sulphur.

workhorse_01

Not so much to drop it, all though with the pine trees they rob everything from the soil. The manure seems to balance everything out, and makes the soil no longer pack down.
Yeah, I read in one of those articles that manure would lower pH. There were several suggestions to drop it small amounts, but to bring it down a good bit for a long time, they mostly recommended that Elemental Sulphur.

FALaholic

My ph was 7, which is fairly high, but the tobacco seemed to do okay once the rains quit. The problems I had with soil was poor drainage, compaction, and the clay hardened up like rock when it was dry. If I can loosen the soil and improve drainage, the roots will have an easier time of growing.

I can say the same. Took the words of wisdom from a few here, and approached my first grow with the 'set it and forget it' attitude. My Virginias grew to 4' with leaves as large as my chest. Burley not as well.
I'm luckly to have good drainage, comparing to the stories where a typical shower plays havoc on growing. One thing I will say is that these bacca are well tolerant of drought. Haven't watered them, nor rain, in 2+ weeks. And this is in 83+ weather.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I can say the same. Took the words of wisdom from a few here, and approached my first grow with the 'set it and forget it' attitude. My Virginias grew to 4' with leaves as large as my chest. Burley not as well.
I'm luckly to have good drainage, comparing to the stories where a typical shower plays havoc on growing. One thing I will say is that these bacca are well tolerant of drought. Haven't watered them, nor rain, in 2+ weeks. And this is in 83+ weather.

That was one of the lessons I learned this year too. Tobacco plants are as tough as a Chrysler Imperial. (the only car banned from demolition derby)

FALaholic

My current patch, and my patch for 2014 all were given a 3" layer of topsoil. Local municipality takes resident yard/tree clippings and mixes it with local manure (from the smell of it, cow) and mixes it all up. This stuff isn't composted. Every time I go there, I can uncover a plot, and have it steaming in 85+ degree weather. Only time will tell if it acidifies my soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.