Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

first good frost in ct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonehead

this is the first real frost i had at my house this year. the heat wen't on early this morning so i got up and fired up the wood stove for the first time this year. i knew it was coming soon but could have used a little more warm weather. i still have small junk suckers growing. i wonder how long they will survive?

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Wow it is still in the 70's and 80's here. I had the last of three harvest here. I personaly would harvest them and get em in due to the damage the cold does. I shreaded the suckers for cigs. and layed on old window screens to dry.Almost ready to bring to case now.Good luck and Good smoke!

Randy

What abt seeds??..I have few plants still browning the the seed pods on the flower heads..my ? is does frost affect the seed pods?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
What abt seeds??..I have few plants still browning the the seed pods on the flower heads..my ? is does frost affect the seed pods?

[FONT=&amp]skychaser
Senior [/FONT][FONT=&amp] Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Re: The Knucklehead way to Grow a Blog
[/FONT][FONT=&amp] Light frost won't hurt your developing seed heads at all if they are bagged. The bags give them a lot of protection. It takes temps down to 27-28 degrees to burn back blooming flowers inside a bag. Pods that have set and are nearly filled won't be hurt and will continue to mature until they are dry or the plant is totally killed.
I never cut flower heads that still have green pods. If the center of the pod Is brown but the outer hull is still yellow or slightly green, they are ok to cut. I'll clip out brown pods if they are starting to crack open and spill seeds but leave the green ones to finish ripening. I have plants that are still alive after successive nights at 22 and 23 degrees and the pods are still maturing inside the bags. Flowers and very immature pods will get killed by hard freezes and drop off, which I find to be an advantage because it eliminates a lot of chaff to sift through later.

[/FONT]

bonehead

we are supposed to get down near freezing for the rest of the week. the leafs are falling now. it has been a colorful fall this year.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
we are supposed to get down near freezing for the rest of the week. the leafs are falling now. it has been a colorful fall this year.

Our leaves haven't really begun to color up yet, although a few are falling. It's going to get down to 28F Friday night and then warm back up for a spell. I'm going to finish harvesting tomorrow and Friday. DGBAMA has graciously offered to flue cure the Virginias I have left so that's really going to take a load off. I'll head down there Sat. with a load of green leaf and watch the Alabama vs Kentucky football game. What a nice bunch of people on this forum!

bonehead

Our leaves haven't really begun to color up yet, although a few are falling. It's going to get down to 28F Friday night and then warm back up for a spell. I'm going to finish harvesting tomorrow and Friday. DGBAMA has graciously offered to flue cure the Virginias I have left so that's really going to take a load off. I'll head down there Sat. with a load of green leaf and watch the Alabama vs Kentucky football game. What a nice bunch of people on this forum!
have a good time. nothing like watching a game with a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.