Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Some questions for you Snuss makers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
When using Virginia Brightleaf tobacco are you using flue cured or air cured? Does it matter?
Do you use aged Burley or freshly cured?

Is most snuss unflavored?, if not what are the more common flavorings?

And finally, I've seen some recipes that use Glycerine. Any comments good or bad?

Thanks

JBD

webmost

Hey I got a dumb question: What's the diff tween snuff and snuss?

My crazy Uncle Carl dipped Copenhagen. Called it snuff. My Grannie D snorted sneezy dust up her nose. Called it snuff. Both from Virginia; so you'd think they'd know.

You never see that sneezy snuff for sale any more. Where can you get it?

Lived to be 104 by the way. Time she was eighty, she could stick her whole thumb up her nostril.

jojjas

"When using Virginia Brightleaf tobacco are you using flue cured or air cured? Does it matter?
Do you use aged Burley or freshly cured?

Is most snuss unflavored?, if not what are the more common flavorings?

And finally, I've seen some recipes that use Glycerine. Any comments good or bad?

Thanks

JBD "

In my opinion , i think that what kind of baccy you use , is what you prefer ,
i think it dosent mather if you used aircured or flue cured , but that´s my opinion
, i prefer to use burley or cigar variants in my snus making , less sugary (i dont like when its to sweet)
Here in sweden ,the most sold snus brand its Ettan (there is a thread here in this forum about that)
other major varieties is General snus flavoured with bergamott oil (same flavour as in Earl Grey the) fresh citrus like flavour, and Göteborgs Rape´flavored with juniper oil
When it comes to my own preferences i like those sorts i wright above and also put in a good amont of scottish single malt or some calvados

Glycerine is added as an moist preservative to keep it moist and fresh a little bit longer time , i usually add a tablespoon to one lbs of snus

Re: Some questions for you Snuss makers

Hey I got a dumb question: What's the diff tween snuff and snuss?

"My crazy Uncle Carl dipped Copenhagen. Called it snuff. My Grannie D snorted sneezy dust up her nose. Called it snuff. Both from Virginia; so you'd think they'd know.

You never see that sneezy snuff for sale any more. Where can you get it?

Lived to be 104 by the way. Time she was eighty, she could stick her whole thumb up her nostril. "

Some answers about the difference betwen snuff and snus is here http://wholeleaftobaccollc.com/forum/showthread.php?2573-How-to-make-swedish-snus , there are more threds about it if you look in this forum
I dont know if there is any who sell sneezy stuff in U.S but in U.K there is http://www.samuelgawith.co.uk/default.asp?PageId=2

squeezyjohn

My recipe is using Don's Flue cured bright leaf ... nowadays the big snus brands will only use air cured tobacco because it lowers the TSNA content, that's the harmful chemicals in oral tobacco. But I love the flavour that flue cured gives the snus and consider it a trade-off. Some old recipes call for fire cured or kentucky dark fired (which I think is burley that is cured and aged normally and then subjected to wood smoke afterwards)

jojjas

My recipe is using Don's Flue cured bright leaf ... nowadays the big snus brands will only use air cured tobacco because it lowers the TSNA content, that's the harmful chemicals in oral tobacco. But I love the flavour that flue cured gives the snus and consider it a trade-off. Some old recipes call for fire cured or kentucky dark fired (which I think is burley that is cured and aged normally and then subjected to wood smoke afterwards)

Yepp , you are right about that Sj , fire cured is very tasty in "the home brewed" snus , i use a small part of it when i have , but usually i cheat and use liquid smoke flavour from the supermarket

workhorse_01

The powdered snuff that I see on the shelves is RailRoad Mills (scotch snuff), and Peach. there are a bunch more still for sale here. My great grandmother dipped RailRoad mills and her best friend dipped peach that's why I notice them.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've ordered my Potassium Carbonate and the Virginia Brightleaf has another 2 weeks to go in the bee box kiln so it'll be a few more weeks before I become Swede Man Rand.

squeezyjohn

Good luck Jitterbugdude - it's a very rewarding thing the way it changes throughout the processes ... I hope you enjoy your results.

Status
Not open for further replies.