Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Golden eagle snatches deer

Status
Not open for further replies.

skychaser

Golden eagle snatches deer in Russia

Amazing image shows golden eagle snatching a deer in Russia, the first documented case of such an attack.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/Blo...s-deer-in-Rusia/1641379965739/?spt=fsb&or=ros

A camera trap used to monitor Siberian tigers on the Lazovsky State Nature Reserve in southern Russia captured an unexpected scene -- a golden eagle swooping down to snatch up a sika deer.

The amazing image shows the first documented case of such an attack, published in the Journal of Raptor Research.

Linda Kerley from the Zoological Society of London found the photos during a routine equipment check.

"It's the first time I've seen anything like it," Kerley said. "It's rare for golden eagles to snatch up deer."

Golden eagles, like other birds of prey, typically hunt other birds or smaller mammals, though they can occasionally go after larger prey including coyotes.

In one case, a golden eagle was observed snatching up a brown bear cub as it trailed behind its mother.

Attachments

• Golden-eagle-snatches-deer-in-Rusia.jpg
    Golden-eagle-snatches-deer-in-Rusia.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 50

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I saw a Golden Eagle follow a deer it had chased out of a field. It didn't try to attack it, it just kept pace with it a few yards behind it for about 100 yds until the deer cut off into the woods. The eagle just nonchalantly gave a wing flap every now and then and easily kept pace with the doe running flat out. It was the most amazing wild life sight I've ever seen. The bird was huge. They were introduced at Berry College in Rome, Ga. I used to live about 25 miles away by car, a good deal closer as the eagle flies.

skychaser

I have had Golden Eagles try to take duck decoys while hunting on two different occasions. Saw one of them coming from a distance. It spotted the decoys while circling a 1/4 mile away and then dove down low to the ground and came in like a cruise missile. The second one came out of now where from above and slammed into a decoy pushing it completely under water. It left talon marks down each side but didn't get a grip on it. It hung there in the wind for a few seconds looking a bit confused, and looking at all these stupid ducks that didn't fly away, then it tipped one wing and was gone with the wind.

Another time I was fallowing after a Grouse I had seen run around the bend on an old logging road. Just as I saw it again and raised my gun to shoot I saw a streak come down from above, fallowed by a small explosion of feathers where my Grouse was standing. A Peregrine Falcon had decided that was his Grouse and not mine. It stared at me for a few seconds giving me a dirty look before it gathered up my dinner in its feet and flew off.

leverhead

View attachment 8283

Then again. ..we used to have one in nz back in the day that had 3m wing span & weighed 33pnds (haast eagle)and would fly down and grab small adults...so not so good...
The Maoris still tell stories about them

http://youtu.be/xbdwn4mGmZ8

Anything that could do that, I'd tell stories about it too. I'd have a stiff neck from looking up all the time.

Brown Thumb

We just have the new jersey devil with a wingspan like that around here.
Good story If you never heard of him google it. Scared the chit out of me when I went to camp and they would tell the story around the campfire every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.