Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

what are some items needed for the home grower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
The goal of my business is to make homegrowing the easiest and most profitable for us growers. I'm a do it yourselfer by all means but at the same time can completely understand the concept of if it's easier and cheaper to buy, buy it, help the economy etc. I also know there can be a formidable line between growing a large harvest of superior product and growing a small harvest of subpar product.

What I would like from you folks is ideas on: What do home growers need to help grow or process tobacco? Below are some items I'm already working on designs for, any more ideas would be greatly appreciated. As always, there will be perks for being a member of FTT when I build them and sell them on the website.

• De-stemming apparatus
  • Air/sun curing apparatus
  • Leaf cleaner
  • Selectable Humidity Toaster (to keep the wife happy that you're out of her kitchen)
  • Fertilizer (wet and dry versions)
  • foaming fertilizer/applicator

Thanks for your help friends.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I'm working on a somewhat marketable kit idea that I came up with while talking to my brother inlaw. It'd be simple, somewhat cheap cost but build to last.

A cigar kit; cutting board, capping tools, rolling pin, fruit pectin/water container.

I would need to price it out before I quoted it to anyone. But it'd be in a nice wooden box and IMO priced just a bit over cost on my end.

DGBAMA

You are probably on the right track. Quality home processing accessories are short in supply and diversity. Growing accessories are readily available on a local level, and often large enough to make shipping prohibitive.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
DGBAMA, I'm working on the kit right now. After further review, I don't think it's worth the cost of manufacturing/producing/shipping the cutting board with the kit. If we even use one, we can run to Walmart and get a much better cutting board than I'm able to sell for just as cheap.

Maybe once the business gets going I can create a catalog like miller dubrul & peters mfg company used to have, have a bunch of things that factories would buy but most home rollers wouldn't.

This kit that I've began to build has 4 different cigar cap tools in different sizes. (covering 18-78 gauge ring gauges) (wood handle, copper tooth, hand crafted), a cigar glue brush, 2- 4oz containers (1 for pectin/glue 1 for water), possibly including a size gauge, and there will be a graduated scale on the bottom side of the lid to the box that this all goes in. The box will be stained sanded cedar.

Still working on possible pricing.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
New Item: Cap cutters

cap cutter.jpg
I am selling these separate as well as part of the cigar rolling kit I'm currently working on.

These are made out of copper, and have a sharpened tooth.
Handles are made out of kiln dried, stained red pine with an acrylic red dash engraved into the top of the handle (signifying different sizes for quick reference). Then the handles are hinserted in place with 900 pound water proof epoxy.
Made in the USA (Michigan).

Each will sell for $12, if bought in a pack of three, they will be $30 ($10 each respectively).

I'm working on impregnating the handles with wax to give years and years of strong performance as well. (No extra cost)

I know these are simple to make, but if you want something that'll last, has a 2 year warranty (restrictions apply), why not help out a local business and purchase some?

The rolling kit is being worked on, these items will be included in it.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
They are tricky but I've been in discussions with a metal worker near here that could do mass quantity for me

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
The copper would dull pretty fast. Would stainless fittings work better? It,I think would be worth a couple bucks more for for em. I would drop the darnd thing and mess it up.But that is Me.. Now a good cutting board--- Go to the wood workers suply that sells remenant quality scrap cheap. Hard wood is very nice when finnished for that very thing. A buck will make three.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Stalk spear heads!

DonH, I have a way (I believe) of making these fairly inexpensively. How many are you thinking you'd need? How much would someone buy them for? I want to make sure I can produce them for a reasonable price but still make it worth my time.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I've got a few different types of stalk spear designs I'm considering trying. I've got an older style which is essentially a metal ice cream cone, the ones I think I'll make are going to be form fitting to a standard 1"x2" piece of lumber.

I will try and have a quantity of these made come harvest time. Not that this is obligating anyone to buy them, but could I get a show of hands who would want some, and if so how many?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I'm still working on stalk spears, I'm working on a new design that will reduce cost and material needed.

As for a new item I just added: Stalk Harvesting Blade
$23.99 free shipping (submit via PM or email and you get an extra 10% discount if you mention this site)

Brand new, stalk harvesting knife. 18" over all length, 6" long blade.

• [*=left]Hardened tool steel
    [*=left]Clefts to reduce surface area
    [*=left]steel hardware
    [*=left]stained handle
    [*=left]pre -sharpened and oiled

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 31
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 31