Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hunting Decoys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Last nice whitetail I killed; I had a mouth full of lit cig hangin from my lip when i pulled the trigger.

Me too. Cigarettes not only make good cover scent, but they let you know which way the wind is blowing.

I go into my hunting area all summer, smoke, crush the fire out of the cigarette and put the butt in or around my blind. By the time deer season comes around, they're immune to the smell. Last year I had a doe no more than 12' away while I was smoking and she never smelled me. I was in a ground blind too, not a tree stand.

skychaser

Baiting game animals of any kind here is a big no no. So is using decoys for anything but birds like ducks geese and turkeys.The game wardens use decoys to catch road hunters and poachers though. It will cost you your license for a year or more and a several hundred bucks if they catch you doing either. Plus most real hunters would call you city boy pussy for baiting. :D

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Baiting is illegal in Alabama but legal in Texas. Baiting includes corn or mineral supplements. Food plots (clover, grains, etc.) and pure white salt are legal. My personal property joins my hunting club. I reserve my personal property as a sanctuary area where I don't hunt them or shoot them. I do feed them over here near the pond to help them through the hard times. We are over populated with deer. One summer during our eight year drought there was an area that you previously couldn't see through it was so thick, once things got bad, the deer stripped it clean from the ground up to about six feet. It looked like a park when they got through with it. I fed corn year round that year. We can shoot 3 bucks a season and one doe per day for the entire season. That's how over populated they are. Our season runs from Oct. 15 - Jan. 31. I don't bait where I'm hunting, but I do feed pretty much the same deer on my property where I don't hunt. I have a trail camera on the feeder and have some really neat pictures of wild life. Coyotes and Bobcats visit at night looking for mice and rabbits. Rabbits, squirrels, opossum, raccoon, turkey, and deer come to eat the corn. Occasionally the deer will chase away the turkey. My rooster used to go out and socialize with the deer and turkey. He was a funny bird.

BarG

Founding Member
Baiting where legal is common practice, at least here in Texas. I can't afford to run my hog traps anymore due to the price of corn, yet everyone complains about the damage they cause. I used to take 40+ hogs a year off my 13 + surrounding acres.On the 300 acres family farm I never bait, or have any permanent blinds.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
There ought to be a bounty on the hogs out there. They've taken over the place. Remember the Alamo!

BigBonner

Founding Member
Knucks

I haven't made it to the woods yet . I may have to hit it tomorrow and have a look around .Im late for sure .
I did see a couple of does trying to get out of my blown down field corn this evening .
Today I did see a person on the interstate with a doe . The idiot used a fairly new van to hunt it down with .

The storms last night ruined about 8 acres of corn . Twisted blown down mess . I don't know if I can salvage much if any of it .

Melting tire weights will work , but how about the copper jacket or 7 1/2 shot for my shot guns ?
My brother reloads some of his ammo and after this I may have to find me a loader with variable sizes to reload with .

BigBonner

Founding Member
Not for long.. The EPA etc took the lead out of lead weights years ago!

I guess batteries at the auto recyclers will go up as they will not be getting many in to recycle .
They will be home recycled for better uses , Bullets .

BarG

Founding Member
My deer decoy was more fun for the kids to fool them. It never made it to the woods. No deer yet but heres a couple of hog picks to tide you over.

My son in laws friend killed this hog from my blind while I was getting my beauty rest. He had 2 1/2 " thick bacon belly. He took all the quarters and back strap and I got 27 lbs grinding meat and bacon.

I will have to figure why the pic would not load?

Heres my mornings hog with last weeks head and coat laying next to her.

My pics ain't loading so just figure 3 hogs averaging 180-210 lbs. 1 boar was red with black spots and the other boar and sow were solid black. Dragging a big hog like that 4 1/2' long and a couple hundred lbs. a couple hundred yards and loading by yourself makes you appreciate it even more when its on the dinner table.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.