Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hunting Decoys

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
This Buck lost his head over my tobacco sucker crop.

100_2412.jpg

Here is wandering up to the house.

100_2413.jpg

I'm taking him hunting with me and maybe I'll get some good shots.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Some crazy redneck is going to shoot holes all in that thing. I know a boy that's pretty much a slob hunter, he spot lights, shoots doves off the power lines, would shoot quail on the ground, hunts out of season, etc. He went duck hunting on Lake Weiss one winter and came up on a flock of ducks floating on the water. Instead of letting them fly and shoot them in the air as a sportsman, he was going to empty the gun on them and kill as many as he could before they could fly off. Which is what he proceeded to do until the hunter in the bushes starts screaming, "Stop it, stop it, you stupid SOB you're shooting my GD decoys!!!!" Decoys ain't cheap or bulletproof.

Boboro

My brother came home with a sack full of pigeons on the 1st. day of dove season. An I didn't say a thing. I didn't eat none. Wineo food.

BarG

Founding Member
At 9-$10.00 a 50 lb. bag of corn [from $2.50 -$3.00 before food for gas ] these days its not hardly economical to feed hogs or deer. Cows would eat everything where I'm going anyway, where I just hunt crossing areas and trails. Last year I saw the second best buck I ever saw and He was to wary to hang around. It may be fun to see what, if anything takes interest or take some pics of scarin em off if nothin else. I may have a tarsal gland or 2 frozen to tie on him.

AmaxB

If I could shoot that far I'd wizz on em than no critter would be Jelus they'd just run off. There goes supper...

BarG

Founding Member
I don't buy no scents but my son in laws bringin some doe in heat to tie a wick pad on it. My grandson is 6 now almost 7 next week and this will be his third yr. huntin with us. I store my huntin clothes in my cedar chest and be as careful as possible to hunt with wind in my favor.
Plus I have some of jitterbugs famous chew to keep from smokin much.

jekylnz

Over here in pig country (coromandel peninsula) they dont even hunt them anymore (accept the sow)..they just get a wild sow make a one way gate on a pen put her in it and just wait for the horny bores to come to you and trap themselves:D

BigBonner

Founding Member
I don't use any decoy or sent . I take luck along and hope . Hope my body parts don't fall asleep and I have to move around to keep the pins and needles out of my legs from falling asleep.

jekylnz

I don't buy no scents but my son in laws bringin some doe in heat to tie a wick pad on it. My grandson is 6 now almost 7 next week and this will be his third yr. huntin with us. I store my huntin clothes in my cedar chest and be as careful as possible to hunt with wind in my favor.

Cause its definitely no good when a buck wants to stomp you to death..especially some of those sets of horns I've seen on some of them over your way..ouch

Boboro

I just let my brother go shoot em. One time he come back with some wild chickens. they were big plump tasty birds. It was one of them don't ask , don't tell situations.

BarG

Founding Member
This will be my first time to ever use one myself. This hides been laying around collectin dust so why not, I was bored and excited about the season opening so I made the decoy and a portable blind 12' x 5 1/2' out of camo burlap and redman or [hog wire what people are calling it now] for a grand total of $14.00

Brown Thumb

image.jpgThese guys are friendly, They will lick you to death.
and some folks call this hunting.
damm camara

DGBAMA

Plus I have some of jitterbugs famous chew to keep from smokin much.

Last nice whitetail I killed; I had a mouth full of sunflower seeds and a lit cig hangin from my lip when i pulled the trigger.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
At 9-$10.00 a 50 lb. bag of corn [from $2.50 -$3.00 before food for gas ] these days its not hardly economical to feed hogs or deer. Cows would eat everything where I'm going anyway, where I just hunt crossing areas and trails. Last year I saw the second best buck I ever saw and He was to wary to hang around. It may be fun to see what, if anything takes interest or take some pics of scarin em off if nothin else. I may have a tarsal gland or 2 frozen to tie on him.

I had to quit feeding corn on a regular basis too. I still feed them to get through a drought, really rough winters and sometimes after the rut when the bucks are so run down that some of them die from exhaustion. I've been pulling honey suckle vines down out of trees where all the foliage is 20-30 ft. off the ground, then training the vines to run along the ground. This gives them some good food cheap and I always plant a few food plots with high protein feed in them. The corn is really low in protein but high in energy so it's not as beneficial as some of the other things you can do anyway. It is a good supplement feed or hunting bait where it's legal. Fertilizing the honey suckles helps. And cutting some saplings about halfway through the trunk so they fall over but don't die and keep producing green shoots and leaves provides some really good browse for them that they can get to. When corn shot up in price I had to get creative, plus in Ala. it's illegal to hunt over corn, it's considered baiting, so I have to come up with different ways of feeding them during deer season to stay legal. Even mineral blocks are illegal, while white pure salt is legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.