Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

First timer from Vancouver BC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewestOldtimer

Hmm from BC. All you want to do is grow your own blunt wrappers! lol

I wish you luck on your grow, don't know how well tobacco grows in BC.

Do you know what strains you want to grow?

Aaron

Welcome to the forum! There are several other growers here from Canada. You should be able to do well, just be sure to avoid long season varieties.

buck

I thought I replied earlier ..... but don't see my post. I'll re-post then.
I'm growing tobacco to make my own cigars.
My plan is to grow the following strains:

Florida Sumatra
Pen Red
Little Dutch

Building two raised beds 4x10 (10" high) mostly compost over existing lawn.
Lawn is on a slope but I'm not going to try and level it, I'll position the slow drip hose to avoid the pooling at the low end.
I'll need to add some perlite/sand or peat moss or other stuff especially in at the low end.

Vancouver has moderate temperature 5 month frost free temp so I should be able to grow most strains.

Chillard huh .. I guess I gonna make me a new best friend :)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You're in good shape. Lakota, who is also from Canada, told me he has a 90 day grow period. He could probably advise you on some short season varieties.

Start your seed indoors 4-6 weeks before your last expected frost so you can get a jump on them. Don has some great cigar varieties at www.wholeleaftobacco.com if you want to immediately start saving money on some great cigars. They are all good, but I'm partial to the Nicaraguan filler with Maduro wrapper. It's really close to a Padron cigar. He ships to Canada a good deal. He goes by FmGrowit on the forum.

buck

You're in good shape. Lakota, who is also from Canada, told me he has a 90 day grow period. He could probably advise you on some short season varieties.

Start your seed indoors 4-6 weeks before your last expected frost so you can get a jump on them. Don has some great cigar varieties at www.wholeleaftobacco.com if you want to immediately start saving money on some great cigars. They are all good, but I'm partial to the Nicaraguan filler with Maduro wrapper. It's really close to a Padron cigar. He ships to Canada a good deal. He goes by FmGrowit on the forum.

I saw this site before and was thinking of buying some leaves while I wait for growing season to come around.
What is stopping me is how much tax and duty or issue I"ll get hit with.

jekylnz

I saw this site before and was thinking of buying some leaves while I wait for growing season to come around.
What is stopping me is how much tax and duty or issue I"ll get hit with.

It should be pretty similar to nz..long as its unprocessed whole leaf and you keep your order under 4Lb you don't have to pay duty & tax.like knuckles said pm lakota hes a good guy and will probably know the finer details of your import criteria

Jack in NB

Founding Member
Buck -

You don't have to worry about short season varieties in Vancouver. Your growing climate is as good as the south-eastern US - Kentucky or the Carolinas. Long season, lots of moisture.

I've got about a hundred day growing season here, and so far mine have all produced viable seed. But I haven't tried many yet. Each year I keep trying a couple of new ones to see how they work. So far, so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.