Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Soil Sampling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerasaan

I am wondering if it is a good idea to get soil samples and take them to your local agro center in order to find out what your soil needs for nutrients? I used to do that when I worked on the farm, when I was getting ready to seed our crops. I live in town now & I thought that might be redundant because my garden plot is about the size of 2 crew cab pickups parked side by side.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Hi,
it might just keep you from quessing, lol. Seriously, smaller size, greater importance.

Daniel

Banned
It does not matter to your plants how big the garden is. they still need the nutrients. So I say soil tests are just as important to a small gardener, in regard to growing healthy plants, as it is to the large farmer. One big difference for the small gardener is that we can go for the more expensive methods of testing. Everything a gardener does is on a much smaller scale. It can then be done on a grand scale. The idea is to get much more from everything than a farmer can even consider doing. Still there is no way a gardener will bring the tobacco in by the wagon load either.

BarG

Founding Member
Try a season and see what happens, grow as normal as if you already have good soil espescialy if it hasn't been farmed. fertilize as you would normaly. Or get a soil test. How ever you do it what ever you plant will grow. In all seriousness try a season growing a small to medium variety of plants and look for robust plants or defeciencys and and go from there. Especeialy if its a home garden to enjoy. I live off my gardens and I never tested any of my soils. Pay close attention to any areas that dont produce and react accordingly. I'm going to add lime for the first time this year because i've been growing in same plots for several years and Ive been told it helps when soil gets depleted., however I rotate my crops according to references in farmers almanac, and always have a good garden.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
12 bucks for the one I got. I can't remember the other three
But I sent them a email asking for a price list

How To Take A Soil Sample...From Waters Agriculture Lab Inc.
Size of Sample Unit
The first step in a sound sampling procedure is to subdivide the area into uniform units. Do not assume that fields enclosed by fences are uniform units. In subdividing a field, use past history and visual differences reflected by changes in soil type for first approximations. Avoid areas where fertilizer or liming materials may have been spilled, gate areas where livestock have congregated, poorly drained areas, or fertilizer band areas of last year’s crop. It is also advisable to stay at least 50 feet from barns, roads, lanes or fence rows. Within fields that appear uniform, 20 to 25 acres is the acceptable unit size, with the size increasing as the area of uniformity increases. Of course, the more borings (sub samples) taken within a sample unit, the greater the accuracy of the sample. However, one sub sample per 2-2 ½ acres should be adequate.
How to Sample
When sampling, work your way through the field in a zigzag pattern collecting the samples with a stainless steel or chrome plated soil probe. Place and mix the soil cores in a clean plastic bucket. Sample depth should be at least 8-10 inches, or plow depth. For turf, lawns, and pastures, sample depth should be 4 inches. After thoroughly mixing the soil, place 6 to 8 ounces (1 cup) of soil in a soil sample bag. The bag should be clearly marked with your name, address, and sample identification. Fill out the soil information sheet as completely as possible. Be sure the sample numbers on the information sheet correspond with the numbers on the sampling bag and is included with samples when shipped to lab.

dkh2

I'm not sure so I looked at the other board on this and there prices are 7 to 12 bucks but that was last January and now that they don't have there prices on there web site I suspect they raised there prices
I could be wrong though

BigBonner

Founding Member
Has any of you tried your local county Ag Agent or soil conservation office . Most of them can send samples off to the local university for a soil test . southern states Co-op can to .All you will need to do is list what the field was in last andwhat you plan on planting ( Tobacco ) . The samples will come back with the nutrients needed for that crop . Flue tobacco and burley tobacco will have different fertilizer needs .Corn , wheat or hay will be totally different .

Samples cost me about $7 each . I do this all the time .

dkh2

The County Extension Agent here says it will cost around 20 bucks and up depending on how elaborate a test you want.

Waters Agriculture sent me a price list here is what they sent me.

The Routine 1: $7.00

Basic 2: $6.00

Basic 3: $10.00

Basic 4: $12.00

Depending on the quantity and if the samples are precision, we can work out a break in cost.

Thanks,

Jessica Moss

BarG

Founding Member
I'm going to try to graduate from amateur to next level of home tobacco grower. If you want to learn something try to learn from the best, and good advice is useless if not put to use. I'm sending in a soil sample this week before I do something I might regret. here is the site for texas growers to send their soil samples to. The cost is $10.00 for routine analysis and progresses from there.

http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/

rasta979

I take mine right to Mizzou every year and they crank out my report within a week. Costs 10 bucks and really is money well spent.

Daniel

Banned
This post reminded me I need to order a bag from waters and get a real soil test done.

Status
Not open for further replies.