Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Newport blend + tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

i12cleaf

Someone I live with is interested in a RYO-like newport. The typical newports as you see in the picture below:
c7pSFmn.jpg
As I understand it, most blends are ~80 % Virginia Leaf, ~20% Burley with maybe some turkish thrown in there. So I'm going to need that to start things off but then also a tube recommendation. I see over at rollyourownresource.com that the Gizeh Silver Tip's are recommended [see post but I am looking for alternatives and reviews. Will Premier menthol tubes suffice? How about them Hot Rods? Need input brothers.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I had to try several different brands of non-menthol tubes before I found one that didn't have an odd taste or an aftertaste. I think what happened was I finally found a tube that duplicated the taste I was used to with Marlboro and Pall Mall. I suspect the same might be true with the menthol tubes, you may just have to try several until you find the one with a familiar taste.

DonH

In my experience the menthol tubes don't give the same menthol hit as adding menthol to the tobacco. I bought a box of menthol tubes once, by accident. I didn't know that green tube boxes were mentholated. After the box was open for a while the menthol got weaker. This was back when I started stuffing tubes with dual purpose stuff. Since going to whole leaf I haven't felt the need for menthol.

Rickey60

In my experience the menthol tubes don't give the same menthol hit as adding menthol to the tobacco. I bought a box of menthol tubes once, by accident. I didn't know that green tube boxes were mentholated. After the box was open for a while the menthol got weaker. This was back when I started stuffing tubes with dual purpose stuff. Since going to whole leaf I haven't felt the need for menthol.
Don is right, most menthol tubes are weaker than menthol cased tobacco and after opened they start to get even weaker over time. I smoked a lot of menthol cigarettes before I started smoking whole leaf and Iike Don said, I haven't felt a need for menthol sence. Most menthol tubes will give a small menthol taste, but keep the tubes sealed after you open them in an air tight zip lock bag. This is just MHO.
Rick

Boboro

My ol'lady uses Golden harvest menthol tubes and they are very strong. We keep them in platic boxes before and after stuffin.

DGBAMA

Strongest menthol flavorfrom a tube: Gambler
(also has the shortest filter).

My favorite menthol tube: Zen. Good balance of flavor and filter.

Hot rod: a good tube, longest filter; this makes for a good bit of stick out when stuffed with the PM2 injector. I just trim them with scissors. My biggest dislike of these tubes is that there is no marking to identify them as menthol. They appear identical to the full flavor tubes; confusing in my household.

I

i12cleaf

Actually, it is a girl...but she's been mega friend zoned.

driftinmark

Hi Kenny,

Ill try to chime in on this one....neuports are very hard to duplicate...I dont know the menthol percentage of them at all, wish I did...lolliard has a whole team of scientists developing the flavor.

I tried mixing menthol chips with alcohol with just a hint of orange flavor, the type of menthol they use is menthol citrata which is probably hard to get hold of in small quantities ....there is also other flavors in there too
like butter distillate, which I really dont want to use....

I am still working on the blend, but I use my regular blend of flue cured and burley and izmir , then add the menthol spray to it then let it dry, last time it was soo strong, I was breathing menthol for 2 days, way to much...that is as far as I have gotten...I will cut what I have in half with alcohol and spray some on my newest blend and report back....

Status
Not open for further replies.