Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Kilning smokeless tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALaholic

I wanted to ask you guys if y'all are kilning your chew or dip, or are you just air curing and proceeding with your recipes.

workhorse_01

I'll try kilning mine after my cure this year. and will start myself a thread, but will post to this one as we know i'm using for moist snuff.

G-Chew

My first year I hung my leaves into hands. Then hung the hands on wire inside a metal shelf. Placed a crock pot and heater in and wrapped it with plastic. Put a layer of insulation board around and on too them wrapped it again in plastic. I kept it 70-80% moisture and 90 degree F for 5 weeks then I took off all the insulator and al but a little of the plastic and replaced the heater and crock pot with a dehumidifier that runs 1 few hours a day. It puts off best and keeps the moisture down. It works great! I pull it out as I need it.

My next years batch I did different. I air dried it on stalks. Them stripped the leaves and piled them in plastic trays that bread is shipped to stores in. This allowed me to strip and pile the leaves and then stack the plastic trays. I built a wooden frame around the trays covered in 2 layers of plastic with a layer of air trapped between the 2 to serve as an insulator. I put a door on the front of it for easy access. I put in a heater and a small circulation fan. I keep it at 90-100 F year round at 20% moisture. This had been curing for 2 years...I hope to not have to add moisture to it for fermentation I hope the air flow and heat and time has taken care of that for me. I'm still using out of the first years batch so I don't know yet...

workhorse_01

I have the coated racks that came in the freezer I use for curing. I think when I'm done flue curing my leaf, I'll install the racks and use it to kiln my air cured leaf.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive first hand seen a can of workhorses home-made snuff...

i dipped cope.. a long time ago,,,,and from what i seen in his can,

i'd dip it,,, i proablly should have tried it that day?????? but i didnt,

squeezyjohn

All of mine is air cured only. Much better from a health point of view to do it the slow way ... i think.

workhorse_01

The door is always open brother.
ive first hand seen a can of workhorses home-made snuff...

i dipped cope.. a long time ago,,,,and from what i seen in his can,

i'd dip it,,, i proablly should have tried it that day?????? but i didnt,

Status
Not open for further replies.