Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Vuelta Abajo and HueHuetenango seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

I got some of above mentioned seeds from Randy, sowed them all and planted in floating trays, but mine is busy dying for some strange reason. The other varieties next to it and in the same trayare fine, and is really growing well, about 2 inches high, but Vuelta and Hue is all wilted, yellow and stunted, and I don`t think will make it. Iv`e treated the seedlings with fungicide (Cocide and Apron C ) but to no avail. Decided to just water it for 1 week to see if it wasn`t to much fertilizer, but I think the other seedlings in the tray would have suffered as well. Will take a picture tonight and post it. Have anybody got any spare Vuelta and Huehue seeds, I was really exited about these two varieties but got no seed left. If I can save 1 or 2 plants I can at least harvest some seeds.
The only problem is I live in South Africa and to get hold of Dollars is almost impossible, but I can trade seeds.
Regards
Ben

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Ben, I have more I can send you. I'm not sure if getting seeds from someone else would help because I'm pretty sure I am ground zero for those two varieties. I grew both this past summer and harvested and smoked some already.

Ben Brand

Hope you enjoyed the smoke. I was really exited about these tobaccos, and then the sh@T HIT THE FAN.
Thanks again for your kindness. I will only able to plant it next season, to late for this season.
Have you still got my address?
Thanks a ton for your trouble.
Ben

workhorse_01

Ben, when the floods came here on the east coast this past season, all of my small transplants did exactly what you describe. The Havana's were the worst. They stayed 8" tall for a month and a half, wilted, yellow, and soft stems. I finally decided to pull them out and put them in pots with dry, loose, aerated soil. after three days they started changing to normal. Some varieties are much more sensitive to water logged soil, and I've found the Havana's to be the worst. If I may, I'd take them out of the float tray, no matter how small and put them in 20 oz. cups with dry soil.(don't water them) Then watch them turn around. They aren't doing good anyway and you've already gone through the work of hatching them. When they spring back, water them from the bottom, and drain. Good luck!
I got some of above mentioned seeds from Randy, sowed them all and planted in floating trays, but mine is busy dying for some strange reason. The other varieties next to it and in the same trayare fine, and is really growing well, about 2 inches high, but Vuelta and Hue is all wilted, yellow and stunted, and I don`t think will make it. Iv`e treated the seedlings with fungicide (Cocide and Apron C ) but to no avail. Decided to just water it for 1 week to see if it wasn`t to much fertilizer, but I think the other seedlings in the tray would have suffered as well. Will take a picture tonight and post it. Have anybody got any spare Vuelta and Huehue seeds, I was really exited about these two varieties but got no seed left. If I can save 1 or 2 plants I can at least harvest some seeds.
The only problem is I live in South Africa and to get hold of Dollars is almost impossible, but I can trade seeds.
Regards
Ben

Last edited:

Ben Brand

Thanks workhorse, will do that tonight, lets hope for the best. After I read the reviews from Deluxe and others I was really excited about the Vuelta. I hope I can save them. Strangely the seedlings next to them are fine.
Ben

workhorse_01

They must be more sensitive to water
Thanks workhorse, will do that tonight, lets hope for the best. After I read the reviews from Deluxe and others I was really excited about the Vuelta. I hope I can save them. Strangely the seedlings next to them are fine.
Ben

Ben Brand

Think I`ve got a fertilizer problem, sure the Vuelta and Hue is also more sensitive to fertilizer. I used to fertilize every 2nd day, 1% solution Multifeed, not sure if you guys in USA get it, the other plants flourished. Didn`t give them anything but clean water since Sunday and I`m sure there is a slight improvement, but the damage is done lost most of my plants.

Markw

Ben
I had some problems with my Huehue this year, I grew them in a float tray and I think the dirt was to wet.I just let them dry out a bit and moved the bung in the bottom of the bottle. I also found out that they don't like soil with very little goodness in it, some of them did struggle this year.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Perhaps a light dose of an Epsom salts concentration? A teaspoon per gallon if I remember correctly. (miracles do happen)

DrBob

Founding Member
I have a zillion vuelta abajo seeds from a grow out plot this year. They come from a small plantation of 12 vuelta plants grown in an area known not to have any other tobacco growing within 2 miles. These plants were allowed to flower without bags to allow some cross pollination between them.

Ben Brand

Replanted the Vuelta Abago and Huehue seedlings in plastic cups. Interesting observation I made was the healthy plants was full of new white roots, the ones that's struggling had no new roots. Hopefully the replanting will save a few.
Ben

BarG

Founding Member
Regards
Ben

I have grown both with seeds from Randy with no problems. I have problems with the Guatemalen wilting in the seedling stage and sunburn in the field but not the above mentioned. Perhaps these varietys are more climate sensitive than others your trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.