Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Slugs and snails

Status
Not open for further replies.

forumdotabaco

DE diatomaceous earth does work for cutworms. I have used it with good results.

how do you use DE by spraying the plants?
I will run a snail test with beer in the land I plan to put my bacca , does anyone know how to test for aphids?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I just sprinkle the powder onto the plants and onto the ground. It has to be reapplied after a rain. I have also mixed it in a sprayer but you will really have to clean your sprayer out so it doesn't clog the next time you want to use it. Sluggo (iron phosphate) works so much better. I do not use "toxic" slug pellets because I raise chickens and can't afford for them to eat poison.

forumdotabaco

How often do you use Sluggo (iron phosphate) in your tobacco?
There are people here that eats them, but they buy them directly from snails farms

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Sluggo takes about a week to kill the slugs. They get a tummy ache, then stop feeding, and starve to death. I usually place the Sluggo in the bed about a week before putting out the plants (since I already know which beds are most affected by slugs). If it rains, I re-apply the Sluggo.

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is also fairly slow to work on insects. It functions by physically scratching the surface wax from the chitin exoskeletons, and impairs joint function. This causes the insects to desiccate. (Death of a thousand cuts.)

Bob

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
There are alot of bio ways to do it. Scater ashes, Shread aluminum foil and mix it in the dirt, A little lime, Powdered Ginger, Spread seaweed and coffee grinds, The one I like is plain old oat meal, Spread it under plants, Slugs eat it and pop. Remove slugs so birds wont harm plants.

Brown Thumb

I like sluggo once and there gone . :)
I have tried DE and it is a pain in the butt

janetta007

There are alot of bio ways to do it. Scater ashes, Shread aluminum foil and mix it in the dirt, A little lime, Powdered Ginger, Spread seaweed and coffee grinds, The one I like is plain old oat meal, Spread it under plants, Slugs eat it and pop. Remove slugs so birds wont harm plants.
I think I will give the powdered ginger a try. I tried cayenne powder I worked a little. If all else falls I will have to call in the big guns.
ghostbustersthetrio[1].jpg

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I used the Ginger in Mo. when I was in St. Lewis. It worked good. Then I tried the Oat meal and it was cheap and did the job I was looking for. Never seen any more after, Just dead ones that blew up. An old lady told Me about it when I was there. I don't have any kind of pests like that here- Thank God.

POGreen

Some girl in our Swedish tobaccoforum said you could use garlic , press a number ( up to u how many ) cloves in your watering can and water the your patch where it ends in all directions .
You might have to wait a day or so to make having the garlic in the can to make it stink a whole lot of GARLIC , seems to be the smell they are allergic to.......
I will try it this year , for sure.

forumdotabaco

Just found something that may save us from slugs and snails its cheap and easy to find search for bayer SmartBayt

Status
Not open for further replies.