Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Slugs and snails

Status
Not open for further replies.

jekylnz

My orientals are getting hammered each night (about 3 a night) by slugs and snails. .does anyone know any good home remedies besides beer..snail pellets. .and copper stripping? ?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Man this takes me back to springtime over here. Aside from the remedies you mentioned, the only other one I can think of is a flashlight and salt shaker.

squeezyjohn

I've got similar slug and snail problems my end of this planet too! They love the young plants just after they've gone out in the ground (and beforehand in the greenhouse)

Copper has been my saviour. I was fortunate enough to get about 200 copper slug rings before the price of copper shot up in the last few years and they last well if cleaned every year. Anything that's solid copper and forms a decent sized barrier between the slugs and your plants will work well - as long as there are no holes and no leaves drooping outside the ring - they won't cross it. I've heard of good success with old electrical cabling that's been stripped down to the bare copper if you're looking for a no-spend solution. The cheapest copper I've seen for sale here in suitable thickness and width to make your own copper slug rings is is in the form of flashing for roof repairs.

I don't like to use pellets personally because the poison tends to end up higher up the food chain and harms garden birds and frogs which are beneficial in getting rid of pests too.

DGBAMA

DE (diatomaceous earth) is non toxic and supposed to work well. for some of mine, I cut 2" pieces of plastic corrugated drain pipe (4" dia) and placed them around the plants as a barrier.

slug control

bonehead

if you put a small bowl or few burried up to the rim with a little beer in them they will be drowned drunks in the morning. swill from empties works fine or from a friendly bartender.

jekylnz

Thanks for your help guys..I might just have to do what you said knuckles & get out there at night. .Brent I'm not 2 keen on snail pellets..if I don't have to. .(like squeeze said) but my have to just bite the bullet and get some. ..I might look into D.E Bama also the iron phosphate based stuff in the same article. ..coppers ridiculous price here at the moment. .they're paying nearly $8-10NZD for domestic per kg!! Good when you're cashing scrap in though. .
This morning I was originally hunting for snails (I found one yesterday) but come across a hole tribe of baby slugs &a couple of adult one's. So I hope that will slow things down in the oreintal section of the garden..
Also dont drink beer..I did have some around somewhere but I think my son has stolen them all.
Does anyone know if they're attracted to any other alcohol .or is it the yeast in beer?

Aaron

I had a bad problem with slugs last year. This year I let everything in my yard grow tall to create a better habitat for the birds toads and insects and I noticed a major reduction in the slug population. I also had no aphids this year though I did see a few hornworms and budworms this year that I didn't have last year. I hear ducks work well for slug control too. Once the plants are established very well, chickens would probably be a good choice too.

springheal

When I planted out late August/September, I had only a few (mostly snails). Immediately it rains, they show their ugly heads! That's when you want to have a look, during and after.

I just bit the bullet and used slug pellets. Used only twice and now no worries.

Some good tips there guys.

Oh, I had a small settlement of aphids just on one plant. Used dish liquid with water and no more since. Attach early!

jekylnz

I was thinking about what you were saying about egg shell Sean. .what do ya think about grit..crushed sea shells..etc? ?? Pribably would work aye
Phil do you notice any slug/snails traveling across that ceushed white stone you have in your garden? ?

I also figured even if I do just end up using pellets. .it's a good subject to get a discussion going about. .for people that aren't to keen on shop type solutions..or like easy home remedies from stuff we already have laying around

springheal

You would need a hellova lot of egg shells/grit/sea shells. Crushed glass? I reckon anything would work if the surface they crawl on is rough as and cause abrasion or cuts. That would deter the pests.
Never seen any on the white stone Todd. Again, may be too rough for them to crawl on.
Heck, I just went to the big red store and bought their plain pack of slug pellets. Half the price of slugslam/blitzem etc. Did the trick Todd and I'm sure the small amount used is not going to hurt anyone or anything.

DrBob

Founding Member
DE diatomaceous earth does work for cutworms. I have used it with good results.

squeezyjohn

You have to be really careful with DE though, it's pretty nasty stuff if you breathe any of it in which is very easy to do by mistake as it's so finely powdered.

It can cause damage to the lungs on a par with asbestos dust!

Having said that - it's a very effective weapon against insects - it's the only way I've successfully tackled rosy aphids on my apple trees.

jekylnz

One thing that I stumbled upon while trying to deal with the slugs etc..was ..when I seen all the slugs in one place attracted to a potatoe I had cut in half while turning over dirt..so I put half spuds all areas around my seedlings then it keep them away from the seedlings. And then they're easy to find to get rid of...ive heard of people growing sacrificial crops to keep pests away before. .but I thought this may be worth sharing for those that are not into using insecticides etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.