Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Seasons end

Status
Not open for further replies.

skychaser

A lot of things can happen during a growing season. You expect a few things will go against you, but experience helps you anticipate most and avoid or get around them. But some things you never see coming, like this past week. We finally finished our tobacco seed harvest Wednesday, and we did it in the snow! Not quite the season ending I had expected.

All in all we had a great year! There we a couple of disappointments with some new plants we had never grown before, but most things did very well. The weather was kind to us all season. The spring was early and warm, and late summer rains and 3 extra weeks of growing season before the first frost gave us bumper crops of seed. But the extra long season also put the harvest 3 weeks behind normal. Usually we have everything picked by mid October. Not this year.

When summer did finally end, we skipped right past our usual sunny crisp dry days of fall and went right into the winter pattern with storms rolling in one after another off the Pacific ocean. Tuesday brought us our first snowfall of the season and we still had 9 varieties of tobacco left to pick. It was lots of fun getting those last ones cut and into the bins to dry. I only lost 2 fingers to frostbite by the end of the day, buts now its all done. Phew. What a relief. Nothing left to do now but dry, thresh, clean and bag it all. lol Usually we can get most of the drying done out side or in the greenhouse and other buildings, but not this year. Too cold and wet already. So there are tubs stacked everywhere around here with fans blowing in them. Our whole house has a hum to it.

The weather warmed a little and melted the snow for now. We have a day or two break before the next storm rolls to get a few billion leaves raked and spread out over the field so they can be tilled in. But first I have to go out and pull all the signs, stakes, sprinkler poles and fencing from the deer proof areas. And I have to put a new rock shaft control cable on my tractor. It busted on me a couple weeks ago. Got to have that repaired before the tiller can go back on. And it won't be long before it's time to put on the snow plow. There is always a big list of things to do around here. And most of them need doing yesterday. But at least all my seeds are in the bins now so I'm feeling pretty happy. :D

Sky

springheal

A very good round up of your season Sky.

Amazing how quickly the seasons change.

I have noticed how the forum has slowed down recently along with the seasons end:( Good for us kiwis down here though:)

DGBAMA

I am glad we have you "upside down" guys to keep the grow blogs interesting over the winter.

BarG

Founding Member
I'm glad you had a good season, and have time to enjoy the fruits of your labor and prepare for future endeavors. Whats SNOW?;)

Ishi

I'm glad you had a good season, and have time to enjoy the fruits of your labor and prepare for future endeavors. Whats SNOW?;)

What I see on Mt. Shasta 85 miles away and Lassen 60 miles. Looks nice from here.

skychaser

Snow is that white shit that gets ass deep here for 3 months. We are supposed to get some tonight and tomorrow. Yippee :/

We spent the last week putting compost over the field. I forgot how many loads, but it was enough to cover an acre 2-3 inches deep. Got it all tilled in yesterday after digging the last of the potatoes, carrots and several hundred gladiola bulbs. It sure looks different out there today with all those tobacco plants gone. But they will be back again next May. :D

bonehead

skychaser is anything going to happen with mabe selling tobacco seeds in retail amounts? i thought there was talk last year about it but i could be mistaken. a lot of the seeds you have are hard or impossible to find.

skychaser

Yes, we are working on a retail site of our own. We got it about half done last winter but then spring came and we got busy outside and never had time to finish it. But with the harvest done and the ass deep snow coming soon, we will have lots of time now to spend in front of the computer.

In fact, that is what we have both been doing this morning. Mrs Sky put together a complete list of what we grew this year so we can start posting new pages to both websites. She sorted out all the picts in the last week too. I have been busy getting in touch with our wholesale buyers and letting them know what we have. We grow a lot of vegetable and flower seed on contract for a couple different companies and I have to take care of them first since the sales to them pay most of our bills. And I have 2 new buyers now that I am working with who are going to sell our seeds. One is in Spain, and the other is Victory Seed in Oregon. The owner of Victory Seed is a long time friend of the owner of New Hope Seed. They are both part of a network of retailers who share the same philosophy on heirloom seed and farming practices. First rate companies, imho. Victory has very high standards and a very short list of growers that they will buy from. It's nice to know we made the grade.

Anyhows, that retail site of ours is in the works and will be working soon. I staked Knuckelheads reputation on it a week or so ago in a post, and you guys know he would never let you down. :D

bonehead

last year i bought seeds from several places even from the uk, but the best seed i got came from newhope seed company. i just wish they had more choices but realize you can't stock a lot more than you sell so you have to make choices. they just were not all my choices. thankyou for the information and good luck getting ready for the winter.

skychaser

Will they be expanding their tobacco seed selections now?

I assume so. I have a very long list of tobacco seed for them to chose from and they seem anxious to see it. Hopefully we will be selling them a lot more than just tobacco seed, and maybe growing some things for them in the future. Time will tell.

We need to be more diversified in the coming years. Less tobaccos and more veggies and flowers. For one, raising as much tobacco seed as we do is incredible amount of work and we aren't getting any younger. And two, we can raise more tobacco seed than we can sell and can easily saturate the market. Especially with many of the heirlooms and little known varieties.

last year i bought seeds from several places even from the uk, but the best seed i got came from newhope seed company. i just wish they had more choices but realize you can't stock a lot more than you sell so you have to make choices. they just were not all my choices. thankyou for the information and good luck getting ready for the winter.

New Hope has always had a good reputation with everything they sell. I have never heard anyone say a bad word about them. They grow all their tobacco seed open pollinated which requires some pretty good separation distances, so I'm sure that limits how much they can grow too.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I already miss lookin at My 2013 plants. Looks bland every year and I always say the same thing every year. Now I'm gettin ready for 2014 grow. Got some great seeds from all over. Great to here on Your great season. Mine was diferent from downbursts to theifes. What a year. (but a good one)

Status
Not open for further replies.