Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Deer Hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtherOne

I didn't take a tag out this year, I really haven't had an interest since I moved to oregon.
Would YOU wanna hunt blacktail the size of a german sheapard?
I'll for shure be part of small game season this next year, hopefully turkey and rocky mtn elk if I can convince my SO's relative in the department of wildlife to take me out to the eastern part of the state when the time comes.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
If the squirrels were the size of German Shepherd, would you hunt them?

Friends of mine go to PA for deer season every year. They tell me they run in heards over there and say the same thing...they're like German Shepherds with long legs. I'm spoiled with big fat corn fed deer here in Ohio.

DGBAMA

I'm from up near akron ohio, the white tailed deer that lives here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbian_white-tailed_deer isn't exactly the same, and you can't legally hunt them like the common blacktail.

And I'd be down to hunt some german shepard sized squirrels. I love the taste of squirrel meat, it's the spittin shot I'm not fond of ;)
A high end air rifle instead if the Scattergun eliminates "spittin shot" and is justa effective.

Dean

I'm a now hunter, no game is too small or large. If it your thing then it is your thing. Don't let the shooters corrupt you. Yes it may be easier to bang the brains out but you will take a stalk and close kill from it. This is what bow hunting is about, getting up close and personal with your quarry. Keep it, do it, enjoy it. There are times when a bang stock so needed here especially. Culling. I love both but if you love the bow then be real and hunt the bow. The takedown will be worth it, the adrenaline pump the bragging rights etc. I hunt with a 50lb long bow but shoot with a Hoyte. My love of hunting wants me to go primitive but my Adeline craves the speed bow. The quick hit etc. going trad has made me think about every shot, will it be good etc. I'm not saying a speed bow kill is less but it seems to be easier in my book.

cheers

deN

alhungie

I hunt feral hogs from a helicopter quite often. It is the fastest and most efficient way of keeping them damned things from destroying our grazing land. The only deer I got this year were the ones I "Old Yellered" on the road, damn things. Then I killed one mountain lion that was posing a threat to our cattle, the same with a couple coyotes.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. If you'll enter a general location in your profile, then it will appear on each of your posts, and I won't have to keep looking over my shoulder for an armed helicopter.

Are you growing any tobacco? Feel free to start a thread in the "Introduce Yourself" forum.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

He looks smaller than he is. I messed up my back trying to get him in my vehicle and I'm waiting for a friend to come help me out. I've nevertaken a deer photo before. What they hay.
IMG_20161119_094720723.jpg

Brown Thumb

Nice buck you got there. Having venision BBQ for dinner tonight.
image.jpg

ChinaVoodoo

Nice buck you got there. Having venision BBQ for dinner

Slow cooked venison is probably the most tender thing ever. Personally, I'm looking forward to making sausage. I recently bought a grinder and it works really well. Every other grinder I bought was cheap, and well, you get what you pay for.

IMG_20161119_225416568.jpg
IMG_20161119_225458815.jpg

Brown Thumb

Slow cooked venison is probably the most tender thing ever. Personally, I'm looking forward to making sausage. I recently bought a grinder and it works really well. Every other grinder I bought was cheap, and well, you get what you pay for.

View attachment 19437
View attachment 19438
Ever try canned venision. That is some good tender meat. Tastes like roast beef.
GRfinney turned me on to it.

ChinaVoodoo

Ever try canned venision. That is some good tender meat. Tastes like roast beef.
GRfinney turned me on to it.
I have a Newfie friend who cans a thing we call meatscellaneous. Basically everything left in his dad's freezer, come next season goes into it whether it's moose, beef, goose, seal, whatever. Delicious.

Brown Thumb

Sounds Scarey, seal with venision and geese.
I never ate seal before tho.
I like a nice big venision sausage breakfast patty myself to chuck a egg on with a English muffin.

ChinaVoodoo

Sounds Scarey, seal with venision and geese.
I never ate seal before tho.
I like a nice big venision sausage breakfast patty myself to chuck a egg on with a English muffin.

You're gonna think I'm crazy but I swear this is a good idea. Sometimes getting pork fat for your sausage is a pain in the ass. The big stores have policies against selling off-SKU items like trimmings, while the legit meat shops get so many requests they either hold their nose up at you trying to be a meat cutter like them, or charge a huge price for their trimmings. Being the son of a butcher, I don't like what's happened to supermarket meat, and I can't stand the hipster butchers.

Enough of that. Anyways, I shredded and salted some zucchini, then squeezed out the juice. Then I mixed 2lbs meat in with 1lb zucchini and 75g of avocado oil before spicing it up. It cooked really nicely. It stayed very moist and had great texture. It also didn't leak any moisture, even after freezing.

I also did a breakfast sausage with oil soaked dehydrated apple instead of pork fat.

It simplifies life to improvise the sausage a bit.

Brown Thumb

That sounds good. Ill give it a try next time I ground venision. Only two weeks away.
Made some venison jerky this weekend actually started last wed night marinating.
The stuff almost tastes like wild bills. Needs a little more red and black pepper.
Freaking kids ate a Qt. jar in a day. Im hiding the other 3 Qts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.