Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Deer Hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

janetta007

I just have to vent on the price of bows out there. All because of a movie.:mad: When I started bow hunting back in the late 80's I paid about $125.00 for a complete package. Now they want up to and over $900.00 just for a bare bow.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I understand that bow is reusable, quieter, more challenging etc, I just prefer fire arm. I like a clean drop-dead shot. I own a bow as well as a cross bow, and they're both fun to shoot and good as back ups incase SHTF, but I still prefer a cheap(er) firearm, with 1 shot.

Cheers though, and happy hunting. I'm not sure if I'm going to make it out this year (3rd year in a row with no hunting :()

bonehead

if you practice and get good with a bow you can watch the deer drop within site if you pick your shot. some of the places i used to hunt i would sit in a tree and be able to see four to six houses from my tree stand. i would bring binos to watch the joggers go buy on the road if nothing was happening at the time. i couldn't possibly hunt the areas with a gun. this was fairfield county where all the rich people that worked in newyork lived in ct. it would be nothing to see ten to twenty deer within bow range in a morning watch. there were so many deer if you shot does you would get replacement tags at a check station. you could shoot four does a day for months at a time if you wanted to. there were to many deer and there still are. bows are deadly if you practice and show disaplin. there is nothing like getting close and being undetected.

janetta007

I understand that bow is reusable, quieter, more challenging etc, I just prefer fire arm. I like a clean drop-dead shot. I own a bow as well as a cross bow, and they're both fun to shoot and good as back ups incase SHTF, but I still prefer a cheap(er) firearm, with 1 shot.

Cheers though, and happy hunting. I'm not sure if I'm going to make it out this year (3rd year in a row with no hunting :()

Sorry to hear you won't be hunting this year Michibacy.
The place I can hunt is a family members property and it's free and happens to be in a "archery only" county. The public lands have drawings and a deer lease is the amount of a down payment for a house.

BarG

Founding Member
I shoot recurve and just replaced a damon howatt 60# hunter that was stolen. I had a pinched nerve on my left side all summer and I couldn't even pull it back to full draw. My left side didn't want to cooperate.I used to sling up to a hundred arrows aday at times. Oh well I'm working the muscles out now but my bow season was a bust. I shoot instinctive shooting. If there are any longbow or recurve hunters I highly recommend a Book or 2 from Kieth Ablow on instinctive shooting. You will be amazed on what it can teach you about correcting mistakes. I used to keep up target shooting with my compound buddy shooters no problem.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I hope others have a better season , Deer season came in last Saturday and I have yet to see a deer . I saw two does in my corn field after the big wind storm but that's it .
I have seen signs but no deer . One tobacco patch that is 700 feet from my home , every year had tracks in it but this year there is no tracks at all .
Rut may be just starting .
I may have to wait up on Christmas eve and see if I can get a shot at one deer tied up to seven others .

BarG

Founding Member
Iv'e been seeing a few young ones legal but only one realy nice one this year so far. I have spent the last 6 months cutting locks off our gate that don't belong. Poaching has been a problem but we got a really nice hog last weekend.

BarG

Founding Member
After Johnlee sent some of his homade pork belly bacon I decided to try it myself. I got 27 lbs off the ribs belly and neck. I made 10 lbs. bacon using the mortons tender quick brine with about 12 hours cold smoke with hickory. It turned out good.

indianjoe

Founding Member
BarG,
what is the Mortons tender quick brine? I still got some fresh belly in the freezer from the last hog.

janetta007

After Johnlee sent some of his homade pork belly bacon I decided to try it myself. I got 27 lbs off the ribs belly and neck. I made 10 lbs. bacon using the mortons tender quick brine with about 12 hours cold smoke with hickory. It turned out good.

Sounds yummy, I may try this.

BarG

Founding Member
BarG,
what is the Mortons tender quick brine? I still got some fresh belly in the freezer from the last hog.

Pm,ed

I will defifinetely recommend it it for your [mine] first time. Its fast and easy, and when you share it it will probably be a positive. I always have a lot of guinea pigs around to test stuff on after I like something. There always happy. I have never made anyone sick yet.:cool:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
you can get a nice set-up... at a descent price from most PAWN-SHOPS....

i myself am a avid bowhunter, i own a bow, but not a gun....

but a word of advice,,, not all bow's are the same,,,,

the price has nothing to do with how '' good a bow is ''

out of 20 bow's. you may pick up one and shoot it good, and shoot the next 12 bow's. with no luck, and pick up # 13 and shoot it real good, and not be able to shoot the rest with good accuracy...

just my opinion,,,, but thats how ive found t from experience of shooting many different bows,

thier like WOMEN they may look the same, BUT THEY ARE NOT,!!!!!!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
another year where there were no deer to be seen on my land. the poaching is getting ridiculous here. i was taking a walk and saw a doe and fawn but that was it.

people jacking deer from the road is probably responsible for a lot of it. i read somewhere that we had like 18 wardens to cover thousands of square miles so its no surprise really.

and people always say if things get real bad they'll just shoot a deer so they dont starve... pfft, good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.