Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Going to make some dip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanM22

Also, I found that putting the tobacco in the oven is not necessary. Wouldn't do it again

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
OK Guys, I smoke cigs.--A pipe or two, cigars, and I chew a plug or pouch and dipp at work. I pay 12 bucks a bucket for dipp. and never tried to make any due to that I only dipp when I can't smoke or chew. But I think You are on the rite track.

squeezyjohn

Will do. Next up is some homemade crystal meth

Hahahahahahahaha!

That seems to me to be an almost English sense of humour ... love it!

Seriously though - do play around with non-sugar based sweeteners because most of the bad effects caused by oral tobacco comes from using something that stays in your mouth a long time with sugar present right next to the teeth and gums. Honey is just as bad for that too.

Don't believe the anti-tobacco guys that say that smokeless is bad for you and all your teeth will fall out ... but do realise that if you dipped raisins several times a day - or honey soaked bread - no matter how good your oral hygiene, you'd be compromising your teeth and gums ... and traditional dip with a high sugar content is no different.

Feel free to tell me to get lost and assess your own risks BTW ... just makin' sure you know those risks.

RyanM22

Hahahahahahahaha!

That seems to me to be an almost English sense of humour ... love it!

Seriously though - do play around with non-sugar based sweeteners because most of the bad effects caused by oral tobacco comes from using something that stays in your mouth a long time with sugar present right next to the teeth and gums. Honey is just as bad for that too.

Don't believe the anti-tobacco guys that say that smokeless is bad for you and all your teeth will fall out ... but do realise that if you dipped raisins several times a day - or honey soaked bread - no matter how good your oral hygiene, you'd be compromising your teeth and gums ... and traditional dip with a high sugar content is no different.

Feel free to tell me to get lost and assess your own risks BTW ... just makin' sure you know those risks.

Get lost and assess your own risks squeezyjohn.

Haha, just kidding!! The dip project is on hold as of now. But when I give it a go again I'll definitely look into a different sweetener. Maybe Stevia, or Xylitol as jitterbug had mentioned.

squeezyjohn

Good man yourself!

If you don't mind the taste (and it is a natural bedfellow of tobacco) - boiling up some liquorice roots in water makes a nice sweetener that is actually good for your teeth - and mixed with a little salt is very balanced. Xylitol has given me some good results also and is not as bad as some of the artificial sweeteners out there.

Another thing I'd say is that you'd do well to experiment with the kinds of tobacco you're using ... the blend of varieties and curing methods makes as much of a difference to the taste of the end product as the additives in the recipe.

RyanM22

I've seen a few people here mention licorice. Don't think I've ever had it on it's own. Licorice candy doesn't count.

I just bought a bunch of dark fire and dark air from BigBonner and am planning on using that to make chew once baseball season comes around. Nothing like spitting on freshly cut grass. I reckon that would make good dip tobacco as well.

Speaking of teeth, coconut oil is the bee's knees. I use it as a mouth wash at least once a day, mostly at night after I brush. Awesome stuff. Teeth have never felt stronger. Just the other day I bit right through my own arm.

squeezyjohn

I've seen a few people here mention licorice. Don't think I've ever had it on it's own. Licorice candy doesn't count.

No - liquorice candy is mainly flavoured with aniseed which is very different. Liquorice root will only add body and sweetness in itself, the actual flavour is just slightly musty and sweet and is all but lost in a mixture with tobacco ... just the sweetness and body remain.

RyanM22

No - liquorice candy is mainly flavoured with aniseed which is very different. Liquorice root will only add body and sweetness in itself, the actual flavour is just slightly musty and sweet and is all but lost in a mixture with tobacco ... just the sweetness and body remain.

Interesting. Where do you get the roots?

EDIT: nevermind.. seems to be more readily available than I thought

squeezyjohn

You can grow it alongside your tobacco if you like ... not a difficult plant by any means.

But it's pretty cheap from health food places, hippie shops etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.