Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Going to make some dip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanM22

Picked up a sample pack of some Yellow Twist Bud, Virginia Bright Leaf, Black Mammoth, and Connecticut Shade leaf from Michibacy. This is my first time dealing with whole leaves and am going to try my hand at making some long-cut, all natural dip.

I haven't opened the bag yet, so am unsure what flavors I am going to use. One thing I have to be mindful of is mold, as I am going to keep the finished product at room temp (the warmer months will be a different story).

My question is, what are some ingredients to add to help stave off mold growth? In another thread I saw Jitterbugdude (I believe) recommend cinnamon, but I'm not too sure how a cinnamon dip would taste.

squeezyjohn

Cinnamon flavoured oral tobacco works nicely for me - but you would have to like the taste of cinnamon. I use cinnamon essential oil rather than the powdered spice for flavouring as it has less of that dusty spice taste to it.

The way I stop my batches moulding is normally to cut the tobacco how I want it in a low case and store it in sealed jars until I want to make a batch big enough for up to one month's supply. Tobacco in that form just continue to age without moulding.

If I was to make a big batch all at once I would store the excess by freezing it after vacuum sealing the container it's in. Defrosted dip or snus is always fine for me and stores for at least 2 years.

Good luck!

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Add a small amount of glycerine. It will help to prevent mold and adds to the "mouth feel" of the tobacco. Additionally, use Xylitol or a non caloric sweetener. If you use sugar (or honey, molasses etc) it will grow mold like crazy.

RyanM22

Add a small amount of glycerine. It will help to prevent mold and adds to the "mouth feel" of the tobacco. Additionally, use Xylitol or a non caloric sweetener. If you use sugar (or honey, molasses etc) it will grow mold like crazy.

How long would it take the mold to grow?

RyanM22

I have the leaves layed out in the basement after spraying them with some water. I am thinking of putting them in the dehydrator afterwards. Yay? Nay? If so, how long? What type of consistence should I be looking for?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
This is where you are going to learn by experience. It's difficult to say how much moisture before it molds. I use 1 ounce of leaves, 2 tsp glycerine, 1T xylitol and 2T of water as well as some neotame and a flavoring of my choice as a basic recipe. This particular recipe does not mold for at least 6 weeks. It'll probably never mold but I've never kept a batch longer than 6 weeks.

As for consistency... That's up to you. Try varying your basic recipe and KEEP RECORDS. After awhile you'll know through trial and error which works best for you. Some of my recipes left the leaves way too wet. I would just leave them spread out on the table for 1 to 3 days until they were the way I liked them.

RyanM22

This is where you are going to learn by experience. It's difficult to say how much moisture before it molds. I use 1 ounce of leaves, 2 tsp glycerine, 1T xylitol and 2T of water as well as some neotame and a flavoring of my choice as a basic recipe. This particular recipe does not mold for at least 6 weeks. It'll probably never mold but I've never kept a batch longer than 6 weeks.

As for consistency... That's up to you. Try varying your basic recipe and KEEP RECORDS. After awhile you'll know through trial and error which works best for you. Some of my recipes left the leaves way too wet. I would just leave them spread out on the table for 1 to 3 days until they were the way I liked them.

Gracias!

RyanM22

An update:

Used about a 75/25 mixture of Yellow Twist Bud and Conn Shade Leaf. Made a little more than a tin's worth.

I don't have a tobacco grinder/shredder, so at first I tried a food processor. No beans. It wasn't strong enough, but the VitaMix shredded it very well in under a minute. I don't like fine ground like Copenhagen, so this worked out perfect.

I toasted the shreds in the oven at 170, 195, and 250 each for a few minutes. I would say 12-15 minutes in total. Immediately sprayed on water, and added Himalayan rock salt (saltier than iodized table salt) and my flavoring: vanilla extract, and mint (a mixture of mint oil and sunflower oil). Threw that back in the oven, which was off but still warm, for about 5 more minutes.

Took it out, let it cool off and sprayed some more water to get it to a point where it was not dry, and wet enough where there was no water leaking.

I tried a pinch, and immediately realized that I needed some sweetener. I had figured the oils would be enough, but that was not so. As far as mouth feel, it's great. The mixture of oils, especially the sunflower is enough for me without any glycerin (Wegman's did not have any organic). Nicotine levels are nice, I'd say about 75% strength. Have had it in for 20 minutes or so.

I added some sugar and raw honey to the rest of the batch and put it back in the oven to warm up slightly, and it's sitting in there now. Will add a pic in a few.

RyanM22

Made a little more than I expected

No chemical buzz or foggy after effects that I was used to from commercial tobacco. I am pleased!

Any tips or suggestions please feel free to chime in. Thanks

RyanM22

Most definitely, Jeremy. Thanks for the suggestion and the business!

RyanM22

Tried a batch with honey and cinnamon. Now we're talkin'

Pretty much turned this into a chew instead of a dip. Feels much better in the cheek

RyanM22

Sounds good. How was it after you added the sugar and honey?

Sugar didn't seem to make a big difference since I didn't add much. Honey worked great though. Added to the mouth feel a bunch. Made it almost velvety.

G-Chew

To shred them you just stuck them into the vitamix for a few
seconds...like chopped them? That seems too easy! I like it if that's what you did...let me know. Thanks

RyanM22

To shred them you just stuck them into the vitamix for a few
seconds...like chopped them? That seems too easy! I like it if that's what you did...let me know. Thanks

Yeah I used the Vitamix. Came out okay. I would've liked more of a thin cut, however

Status
Not open for further replies.