Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

what is curing gas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Leaf (and fruit) maturation is triggered by exposure to ethylene gas. It is produced naturally by most plants, and is released in high concentration by ripening fruit. (One rotten apple spoils the barrel.) For a small home-grower of tobacco, you can enclose green leaf together with banana peels or any well ripened fruit. My trial of this in a closed garbage can showed equivocal results. Those specialty green vegetable storage bags are made with a compound polymer that simply absorbs the ethylene, so fruits and vegetables store longer.

Bob

Brown Thumb

How much do they cost, Does not seem to have any neg Affects?

rainmax

Founding Member
Interesting. I didn't use curing generator and I have some lime green Virginia. Next year I will try some bananas...

jekylnz

I've been talking with a guy in oz thats trying ripe bananas. .and says it's working better than the control without. .

It's good for over nitrogened leaf or unripe leaf. ..to speed up yellow

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I have a little green leaf that I choped up as soon as I picked it. (freeze) It is last of the suckers. goin to use it for cig. mix. I'm goin to try that bannana thing- Never thought of it befor and I been plantin for alot of years non comercialy. Just somthin Gramps never showed Me. Thanks for the idea!

pakidaho

Going to need to try this out next season, need all the edge I can get with the shorter Idaho season. Now as a kid someone mentioned smoking banana peels... I swear I didn't inhale.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Folks... I do not do this... Sounds like Some one wants to do somthin ...kinda... Like smart....HF-6.....Dont do that.... Wont work and I mean it!!!!!.............Stay like Yer doin it..........We can't help ya if ya do it............We help folks that grow "old school" !!!!!Thank You .
Flag Me if I blew it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Every one is talkin about how to cut corners....sounds like bannanas are in the wrong mix. Sorry if I offened You And Your answer. How- ever I might now. THANKS for stepin up.. I like that ..Thats what makes good teachers....Bannanas are good for bannanas.. Tobacco.. Well... Tobacco.. AGREE???????? PS:

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
You guys have gone bananas!
I would venture to say that unless you are only curing one or two plants that you probably couldn't afford the truckloads of bananas it would take to cure an average amount of homegrown tobacco.

What ratio of tobacco to bananas you guys talking about?

jekylnz

Me and Dean have just been doing a few trials with about a couple of kg to a couple of 15-20 leaf hands...it seems to work quite well. ..we noticed the leaf yellows from the vein out rather than the usual leaf edge in...dean found a apple.banana mix was working better.

Dean (pilchard ) wwas having a few issues getting his leaf to yellow. .so I mentioned try some fruit or veg. You can only try these things?

jekylnz

Every one is talkin about how to cut corners....sounds like bannanas are in the wrong mix. Sorry if I offened You And Your answer. How- ever I might now. THANKS for stepin up.. I like that ..Thats what makes good teachers....Bannanas are good for bannanas.. Tobacco.. Well... Tobacco.. AGREE???????? PS:

Na oshea im just jokin with ya..all good mate..

Dean

Ok, got some time today to re post this one.

These are shirey lugs and damaged leaves about 20-30 leaves didn't count up to 16" long. Strung them on fishing line for ease of hanging later. All immature but fully grown leaves.

Put into a bucket lined with newspaper and 2lb of fruit in the bottom. Apples and Bananas.

Capped the bucket with more newspaper.

into the kiln at 35 degC 70% RH.

I used the bucket as I thought a bit more ethylene may circulate as they are not packed in tight like rolling them up in newspaper

Day 1:

Day 2:

I think the picky speaks for its self. looking promising so far.

yellowing nicely. im impressed with the combination of ethylene and heat.

note the mid rib and veins yellowing before leaf.

this is the quickest result to date the circulation in the bucket must help the gas reach every leaf as I thought and I am thinking the cut stem absorbs the gas and ripens as if dying, opposite to when I air cure and leaf yellows before mid rib.

Day:3

Not a lot of change yellows are turning a little brown greens are turning a little more yellow. Not enough change to be photo worthy.

Day:4

Day:5

Done enough for me to hang, yellow in every leaf, no mould.

I found from previous batches the mould would start once browning started if kept wrapped up.

Status
Not open for further replies.