Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

WLT's American Old-Style Bold (Blend 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

winston-smoker

I am now smoking the American Old-Style Bold (Blend 1) that I processed on Friday. As expected, the flavor is different from the Virginia (Blend 2); but, unexpectedly, I found the smoke smoother, though no less "strong," than the Virginia. I'm fairly certain that it is pretty high in nicotine.:D Blend 1's description makes a comparison to the Chesterfield and Lucky Strike cigarettes of old ... I cannot really comment much about that, as I've never had a Chesterfield and it's been about 30 years since I last smoked a Lucky Strike. I was wondering whether it would taste similar to Old Gold cigarettes, and I do think there's a "family resemblance." I can say that the American Old-Style Bold definitely full-flavor and that it has a rich tobacco taste. Now that I've tasted each blend individually, I want to experiment with combining them ... I realize that is not the intention in WLT's having created these blends, but I don't suppose it would do any harm to make a day's worth of cigarettes with the two blends combined to see whether I like the combination.

winston-smoker

I'm not so sure that I prefer the Virginia Blend less ... they just simply taste different. My impression of the taste of the Virginia (Blend 2) that I processed a week earlier was that it improved after it "rested" for a few days. That's why I didn't "jump the gun" with this batch, even though I didn't toast it. Neither blend is the same as what I had achieved when I mixed 6 different tobaccos together, without casing (other than the Hershey syrup recipe sprayed on the Burley), from the sampler I had received back in the Spring. But then that makes sense, as that was, I suppose, a "custom made" blend. Both blends are better than most brands of "dual purpose" pipe tobacco, and at least I know for certain that there's no expanded tobacco or reconstituted tobacco sheet.

winston-smoker

Eureka! The combination was more to my liking than either blend was by itself. It was smoother and had a greater complexity of flavors than the Virginia alone; and added a sweetness, with a hint of a citrus note, that the American Old-Style Bold was lacking. Very nice!:D

DonH

Eureka! The combination was more to my liking than either blend was by itself. It was smoother and had a greater complexity of flavors than the Virginia alone; and added a sweetness, with a hint of a citrus note, that the American Old-Style Bold was lacking. Very nice!:D
Blends of blends are always a good idea in my experience if you're not 100% happy with the original blends. Sometimes a light blend is too light and a full flavor is too full.

I've been having good results with "bottom of the box" blends. I had some twenty hands of about 17 varieties stored in a big cardboard box after taking them out of the kiln a few weeks ago. It got too dry so I couldn't shred or bag them until today, since we had a wet night last night and I was able to get it up to case. I shredded a lot and bagged the rest in vapor proof bags, but there were lots of leaf fragments in the bottom of the box, so I shredded it up and it tasted pretty good! Impossible to duplicate though.

Status
Not open for further replies.