Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cheap Chaveta - Cigar Blade

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALaholic

Ok, sure its not a Chaveta, but same principal. With a little minor modification, it can damm well look like one.
One of the things that I couldn't find online is a cheap ULU. Came across this place, by far the cheapest ULU I have found.
$6 ULU

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
That Eskimo knife would work good if you cut the handle off.

I use a pizza cutter also. It's an old carbon steel wheel so it sharpens up real nice.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That Eskimo knife would work good if you cut the handle off.

I agree with Don, if you cut the handle off it will be much easier to handle for cutting tobacco. To make a new, lower handle, I cut a groove in a 3/4 dowel rod with the cut off wheel on my dremel, then epoxied that dowel to the blade. You could do the same with a hand saw if you don't have a dremel. The curve on that ulu looks perfect.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I know it's not the same cost, but if you're interested in an actual chaveta, just like the ones you see on every cigar roller's bench, I've got a way to make them, they're american made (obviously), 22 gauge tool grade steel. The steel I use is known for it's strength and cutting edge keeping quality, as well as resistance to abrasion.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but if there is a way for someone to get a product made specifically for this purpose, I might as well try and market it.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Many of the chavetas used in cigar factories are made from discarded saw blades. But I actually prefer using a kulu to using a "traditional" chaveta.

Bob

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I have seen/read that Bob, I'm sure they work just fine, and I'm sure they learn to use them and make them work for them. I'm still a sucker for classic tools. I have seen your use with the kulu and have been impressed though!

Chris A

I also use an Ulu and never saw the need to cut the handle off. I just learned to use it as is. Inuits have been doing just fine with it for uncounted generations.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'm sure the Eskimo knife works great for chopping whale blubber. A frozen salami makes a decent hammer also.

I'm pretty sure if the chavetta works better with a handle, it would have one.

Chris A

Don-

Point taken. Like my friend in the wine business says, "Drink what you like & don't let anyone tell you it is wrong". My implement has a handle just because it came with one. Right or wrong, it works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.