Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Do you guys get split seedlings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALaholic

I got done with placing my germ seeds in seeding trays, couple weeks ago. Noticed that alot of my seedlings have split, two separate sets of stalk and their own sets of green leaves.
Anyone else this happen to?
ETA: I am certain that I only placed a single germinated seedling into the seeding tray.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I don't remember having any. Those things are so small it's easy to get more in there than you think. Try gently pulling one of the two up while the roots are small and straight.

skychaser

Never seen one actually split. I try to get 3-4 seeds in each hole when I plant a flat, but what comes up often looks more like a chia pet farm. And that's when I wear my glasses. I do a lot of thinning. lol

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If the two stalks actually arise from the same root, then I would guess that the apical meristem (the growth tip) of the original seedling was injured in some way--fungus, brute force, etc.--and what you have is equally developed axial buds from the cotyledon.

Bob

JessicaNicot

what cultivar was it? I've seen multiple stems in the field before from ground suckers (its really common in oriental types) but you don't generally see it so young.

leverhead

what cultivar was it? I've seen multiple stems in the field before from ground suckers (its really common in oriental types) but you don't generally see it so young.

It was an Oriental, but I can only narrow it down to one of four possibles. It's Yenidje, Tasova, Izmir Ozbas or Smyrna 9, it's what I planted on the date the picture was taken.

DGBAMA

I pulled "ground suckers" from a bunch of my Izmir plants this year, when they were just a few inches high. If they are still in the itty bitty "seed leaf" stage though, I would bet on them being doubles. Quite a few I had unknowingly doubled when moving into trays, there were two stems, but the smaller one had yet to open its leaves when I did the transplant so a few days later it looked like they had split.

Status
Not open for further replies.