Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco specific toasters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markw

You could convert a rotisserie chicken cooker. The rotisserie would mitigate the problems associated with the heat being close to the tobacco. Use it on the cooktop with the vent hood set on high.

A barbecue could be modified not sure about using gas but they all have a thermometer in the lid. like Knocks has said you could use one of those going round things that you would stick the pig on. plus you could do it outside and still have a wife !!!

jekylnz

A barbecue could be modified not sure about using gas but they all have a thermometer in the lid. like Knocks has said you could use one of those going round things that you would stick the pig on. plus you could do it outside and still have a wife !!!

If you could set up a tumbler barrel inside it and keep the gas separate like how a flue works..it may just work..

Markw

If you could set up a tumbler barrel inside it and keep the gas separate like how a flue works..it may just work..

I think It would be inexpensive to make, it would be easy to turn the drum inside the barbecue , maybe just sell the drum.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I know I have a lot of irons in the fire, but while I wait for some parts for the destemmer I am revisiting the toasting/roasting device for tobacco. I am working on a low cost design as we speak, as an alternative to using the missus' stove. This device would run very low voltage (less chance of electrocution considering it would run on 5/12 volts DC). I'm working on the body right now of the design, but I have the internals all mapped out. After doing some math, I can see toasting 1-2 hours MAX will get me a very nice product.

I've done quite a bit of reading/discussing with previous workers , and one of my favorite commercial brands (Lucky Strikes) actually had a specific way of toasting.

They (like most commercials) use casing. Instead of heating JUST the leaf, they heat the casing and apply it to the dry tobacco which acts like a sponge. They do this to each individual kinds of leaf, they don't just throw it all together, they also leave the leaves whole. They then toast it at low temperatures. They blend/mix the tobaccos at different points going down the line, Toasting it as it goes with heat AND uv light.

Sounds like a fun project :D

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I know I have a lot of irons in the fire, but while I wait for some parts for the destemmer I am revisiting the toasting/roasting device for tobacco. I am working on a low cost design as we speak, as an alternative to using the missus' stove. This device would run very low voltage (less chance of electrocution considering it would run on 5/12 volts DC). I'm working on the body right now of the design, but I have the internals all mapped out. After doing some math, I can see toasting 1-2 hours MAX will get me a very nice product.

I've done quite a bit of reading/discussing with previous workers , and one of my favorite commercial brands (Lucky Strikes) actually had a specific way of toasting.

They (like most commercials) use casing. Instead of heating JUST the leaf, they heat the casing and apply it to the dry tobacco which acts like a sponge. They do this to each individual kinds of leaf, they don't just throw it all together, they also leave the leaves whole. They then toast it at low temperatures. They blend/mix the tobaccos at different points going down the line, Toasting it as it goes with heat AND uv light.

Sounds like a fun project :D

Finally, an explanation for the "double toasted" ads. I've wondered about that for a long time but could find no answer.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Very similar just...for quantities around 1-2 pounds :).

Doing the math, My device will be quite cheap to operate as well...around 2 cents an hour (and that's at my rate which is quite high)

Status
Not open for further replies.