Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

PI 116087 (TI 712) Where From

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markw

I did a grow out for another member this year and this was one of the plants. I have checked the GRIN data base and it is listed by country as from Mexico. It says chichicaste (Honduras) and Burro (Cuba). Can anyone put any light is to where it is from. The link to the information is below

http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgs_public/prodweb.pdf0?in_vol=127&in_suffix=&in_page=058

It has got to be one of the best plants I grew this year. I would class it as a Cigar tobacco due to its nice aroma and lovely taste. It looks like it would make an excellent wrapper. It cures to a lovely dark brown coffee colour and has no mould issues. I will be differently growing this again next year.

Many thanks

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The listing is confusing. Chichicaste is the name of a small village (near Danli) in Honduras. I suspect that the single variety is called Chichicaste in Honduras, but is called Burro in Cuba, and that they are the same variety. I'm just guessing from the scant GRIN info. The seed donation was handed to Archer by Ricardo Aparicio, in Mexico, via Archer's request to the American consul in Honduras who likely sent them to Sr. Aparicio. [Archer was frequently traveling, and not so easy to reach.]

So, I would simply say Chichicaste is the Honduran name for this variety (that actually came from Honduras), and that it is the same variety that is called by the name "Burro" by Cubans.

Bob

Markw

Thank,s for the kind reply Bob. I think that clears it up regarding where it comes from. It was a shame I only had a few plants this year.

JessicaNicot

The listing is confusing. Chichicaste is the name of a small village (near Danli) in Honduras. I suspect that the single variety is called Chichicaste in Honduras, but is called Burro in Cuba, and that they are the same variety. I'm just guessing from the scant GRIN info. The seed donation was handed to Archer by Ricardo Aparicio, in Mexico, via Archer's request to the American consul in Honduras who likely sent them to Sr. Aparicio. [Archer was frequently traveling, and not so easy to reach.]

So, I would simply say Chichicaste is the Honduran name for this variety (that actually came from Honduras), and that it is the same variety that is called by the name "Burro" by Cubans.

Bob

you're so good at this! that is basically what I would have said. I do not have any additional information for this accession.

Status
Not open for further replies.