Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

"Two good reasons to not roll your own cigars" According to Thompson cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Thompson Cigar said:
Whether cigars are made by machine or rolled by hand, fine cured tobacco is always going to produce the fine flavors we so enjoy. Nevertheless, for many of us, we prefer the smokes that are made by hand. We like the fact that the cigar was carefully rolled by an expert cigar maker and feel that the draw and overall experience are improved when filler and binder are enveloped in a wrapper that is neither too tight nor too loose. Or, it might just be that we have a higher degree of trust in people than machines when it comes to cigars. Those factors end up convincing some of us that we should also try and roll our own cigars but in general, most aficionados are going to be much better off just buying hand-rolled smokes instead of trying to roll their own. The following are two of the main reasons why:

• It's not easy to roll a cigar the right way: Have you ever tried rolling a cigar? You can eventually learn to roll a cigar with just the right amount of filler and firm feeling of the wrapper but you will probably make dozens of very poor or unsmokeable cigars to reach that point. The people who roll the cigars at the factories do it so well because they have crafted thousands of fine smokes.
  • Fine tobacco blends and wrappers: While you can buy wrappers and tobacco blends to make your own cigars, they aren't going to be anywhere even close to the quality used in Cohiba cigars, Arturo Fuente, Rocky Patel, or other brands of quality smokes.
It's much easier to buy premium cigars for low prices than attempting to roll your own substandard smokes, especially when you can find great low prices on quality cigars at the Thompsons.

What would you expect from a cigar company?

MarcL

I don't find that discouraging. I think your right though, for someone starting out it could be maybe. you have to enjoy the artisanal part of it.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"It's much easier to buy premium cigars..."

Of course! But they are never sold at "low prices." And they seldom taste as well blended or smoke as nicely as a home-rolled stogie. Yup! They're right. It takes practice. Duh!

Bob

darren1979

First Time Grower
No conflict of interest with that impartial article lol. The trouble with cigars as coffee, wine, almost any food stuff is people taste and preference are different.

bonehead

it took me forever to make a smoke, brew, ferment a wine,cider ,meade,yadaadayada ect. i STILL can't figure it out. i don't know what happened!

Ben Brand

Total novice at making cigars, but the best ones Iv`e smoked was my own. Smoked a Davidoff torpedo the other day, mine is tastier, not as neat or perfect, but for me it has a nicer taste.
Made a few from fire-cured I gladly received from Tom, very nice, love the smoky after taste that lingers in my mouth.
The best hobby Iv`e had in years. Thanks again for getting me hooked on making cigars.

webmost

Well, think about the part that's missing from that article:

You clear the decks, lay out your tools, open a beer, light a smoke, and then you open your tobacco stash. The aroma hits you. From this point on, you are in the zone. Two, three hours later, you emerge from your trance with that wonderful aroma all up in your head, looking around to see if there's some more leaf you can roll. You'll be sniffing your hands the rest of the day. For the next couple months, you'll be admiring your work as it ages. Now and then, you spark one up just to see if they are ready. You give some away. You salt some away. Your stash dwindles. Before you know it, you are jonesing to get up to your elbows in leaf again.

Guess what? You can't buy that enjoyment at Thompson Cigars.

So it's like saying "It's easier to drive to the grocery store and buy a six week old green hard pear gassed and then shipped 800 miles than it is to grow a pear tree, sit under your own tree in your own yard, and eat a fresh sun ripened soft yellow pear just bursting with flavor and dripping down your chin with juice."

They don't sell that at Safeway.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Well, think about the part that's missing from that article:

You clear the decks, lay out your tools, open a beer, light a smoke, and then you open your tobacco stash. The aroma hits you. From this point on, you are in the zone. Two, three hours later, you emerge from your trance with that wonderful aroma all up in your head, looking around to see if there's some more leaf you can roll. You'll be sniffing your hands the rest of the day. For the next couple months, you'll be admiring your work as it ages. Now and then, you spark one up just to see if they are ready. You give some away. You salt some away. Your stash dwindles. Before you know it, you are jonesing to get up to your elbows in leaf again.

Guess what? You can't buy that enjoyment at Thompson Cigars.

So it's like saying "It's easier to drive to the grocery store and buy a six week old green hard pear gassed and then shipped 800 miles than it is to grow a pear tree, sit under your own tree in your own yard, and eat a fresh sun ripened soft yellow pear just bursting with flavor and dripping down your chin with juice."

They don't sell that at Safeway.

1328807872794247151facebook-like-button-big-md.png

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Well some folks cant grow tobacco or never seen the plants let alone roll a stogi. So that is why they buy em. Nothin wrong with that. I enjoy sharin My hand rolled puffs. It is a treat to others that visit My door.However Why bust our chops for our skills. Are We not equal to or not better at rollin ours? They buy their baccy, not grow it -We not only roll ours but grow it as well. So I think our cigars are better. We are personaly involved in total involvment in the whole thing. Are They? They are just mad they are # 2. We control what goes in our smokes. Do they ask You what tobacco You wish to be rolled? Heck They wont even tell ya what type they are rollin it with.
If I am wrong "please let Me know"!!! I will apoligize..... NOT!!!!

Matty

I quit buying cigars, too many disappointments, cuban, Nicaraguan and the like. Can you buy a cigar blended with american burley and nicuraguan fillers? A cigar wrapped in fire cured? With perique or latakia in it? When we can roll our own we do whatever the hell we want AND the rolling is half the fun for most of us. So there!

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Well --I have a still-- and I grow baccy and I still tell folks "I'M" a jerk . And hell YES I roll cigars. Not just for Me- every one!!! .....ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE AS WELL AS WHAT YOU GET. Mastersssss! Fun hu? I'LL GO CHECK MY STILL NOW !! 35 GALLONS ON!!!!! Love little cigars LOL
Simple!

Status
Not open for further replies.