Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ring Gauge/inches/mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Thanks guys, never could get my head around these. Now hears a daft question I'm going to ask anyway when measuring a cigar is the measurement taken from the widest part? also you measure it's circumference not diagonal. like a t.v?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
In the US they use the diameter, in certain placed like Japan, they don't really have a comparison with diameter OR circumference. So, in our case yes, Diameter.

webmost

I use a free smart phone app named cigar gauge. Simplicity to install and use.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Nice one, makes sense now lol. Downloaded the app, the comment at the bottom made me laught "this app is sick, now i know the size of things I'm putting in my mouth (cigars that is) lol

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
deluxestogie's precision ring gauge conversion chart:
  • 32 = 1/2"
  • 48 = 3/4"
  • 56 = 7/8"
  • 64 = way too fat

How complicated does this have to be, unless you are planning to sell cigars by the box?

Bob

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
It helps us people that are way too proud of a well rolled dried leaf label what size said dry leaf bundle we made. Then smoked. Then want to remake.

I'd rather have an abundance of information and cut it down to what I need....

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
All that I'm saying is that rolling cigars is never a precise process. It uses an agricultural product.

Industrial gadgets force a cigar to be a specific, repeatable ring size, whether or not the bound bulk is exactly right. That's why, with few exceptions, nearly every box of premium cigars that I have purchased over a period of more than 40 years contained at least 1, sometimes 2 cigars with poor draw. A carefully made, fully hand-rolled cigar will be an approximate size, perfectly suited for the density and thickness of the (always differing) filler leaf strips that are selected. Even the most closely controlled batches of cigar leaf differ from leaf to leaf. Your fingers can tell the difference; an industrial gadget cannot. But that's the price (or rather the cost of business) for having to sell cigars in identical appearing batches. The most conscientious factories stick a suction gauge into the head of every bound cigar bulk, and discard (remove the binder and send the filler back for re-use) those that fail.

As a home roller, you don't need to settle for that. Cigars are just about the only hand-crafted items I know of which are regularly judged not by their artisanal quality, but by their resemblance to a mass-produced, industrial commodity.

Bob

MarcL

I like this graph. it's a nice "go to", though I still get to use my micrometer but don't need to divide by 0.015625.

Does this make me a "girth geek" ?

MarcL

Bob makes the best points about purpose. I think it's just nice to be able to say 4 9/16 X 47 RG and know it, for some reason. What was the question Todd ?...

webmost

Cigars are just about the only hand-crafted items I know of which are regularly judged not by their artisanal quality, but by their resemblance to a mass-produced, industrial commodity.

Goldang thot provoking...

... yet at the same time, mass produced, machine rolled cigars are denigrated, demeaned, and snubbed by aficionados.

Curious world.

Status
Not open for further replies.