Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Difference Mammoth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

Don`t know if this question have been asked. What if any is the difference between Black Stalk Mammoth and Small Stalk Black Mammoth. If they are not the same, are both used as wrappers?
Ben

Knucklehead

Founding Member

DonH

So if I understand this right, "Mammoth" isn't a variety it just describes types with huge leaves?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Another possibility is they were derived from crosses that had an early Mammoth named variety in their pedigree.

ChuckP

Howdy Ben,

Small Stalk Black Mammoth makes a nice and tasty wrapper - IMO. It's one of favorites and I've grown it 4 out of the 5 years I've been growing. Long Red has just taken over the top spot, it's a great taste with a havana 608 binder and equal parts havana 608 and WLT Dominican seco and a strip of Dom ligero. But I digress - sorry!

The leaves get up to 3' - 3'-6" feet (1 meter and longer) in length. I think it pairs well with Penn Red, PA/CT Broadleaf, glessnor and any havana variety. You can also use as filler too, with FL Sumatra or PA Broadleaf as the wrapper, it makes a really nice everyday kind of cigar.

Hope that helps

JessicaNicot

So if I understand this right, "Mammoth" isn't a variety it just describes types with huge leaves?

mammoth doesn't refer to the leaves at all. it refers to the plant type with respect to flowering time. true "mammoth" varieties require short days in order to flower--in fact it was tobacco in which photoperiod sensitivity was first discovered (even though most varieties are insensitive). mammoth thus refers to plant height because if planted early in the spring, many of the varieties grow and grow and grow in temperate climates, putting on many leaves before finally flowering when the conditions become right.

however, with reference to small stalk black mammoth, I believe this was a line originally derived from black mammoth in which the photoperiod sensitivity gene had been lost.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I might add that "short day" is an early misnomer that has stuck. So called "short day" plants are actually "long night" plants. That is, they are sensitive to the duration of the dark period, rather than the duration of the light period. Red light exposure (that includes white light and sunlight) says, night is over. Dark Red light exposure says, start of night.

Taking a lighted peek (say, with a flashlight or turning on any light) at a long night plant during the night will tell the plant that night is over. A subsequent quick exposure to dark red light, following a brief nighttime exposure to red or white light (curious botanist) says, "Never mind. Forget that light. It's still the same night."

So, for so-called "short day" plants, the critical issue is a long, uninterrupted period of darkness, regardless of the length of the day. Potted short day plants, can be stimulated to flower by carrying them into a dark shed, and keeping them there for a sufficient period of darkness every 24 hours.

Bob

JessicaNicot

I might add that "short day" is an early misnomer that has stuck. So called "short day" plants are actually "long night" plants.

its funny how those misnomers and phrases stick around. we have one that lingers in our program; "wild relatives" which is used for "all other nicotianas that aren't tabacum" and has an uncultivated connotation associated with it (its also where the TW--w for wild--designation for our species collection comes from). I cant stand it because it is so unrepresentative of the facts, ignores accepted scientific nomenclature and best practices in scientific communication, and is just so... its awful.

when you know better, do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.