Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Bringing Cured leaves back to pliable state

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Chew

After my baccy is cured i keep it at 19% moisture at 90-100 degree Farenh. How is the easiest way to bring it back into a pliable state for rolling cigars, or making twist / plug baccy? I have tried putting it into bags with my flavoring but it seems this is not enough...the flavoring soaks in some and adds good flavor but I still don't have a pliable enough state...still some cracking and tearing when I strip the rib and when I roll and twist.

Any ideas on what you all have found to be helpful?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The easiest thing to do is wait for a rain while humidity is high and bring some in. Or put it in a plastic bag and mist it with water and leave it over night. If it's just too dry to handle, mist it with water where it is and come back in a couple hours and see if it's absorbed enough moisture to allow you to handle it to put it in a plastic bag. You'll have to play with it so it's not too wet or too dry.

G-Chew

The easiest thing to do is wait for a rain while humidity is high and bring some in. Or put it in a plastic bag and mist it with water and leave it over night. If it's just too dry to handle, mist it with water where it is and come back in a couple hours and see if it's absorbed enough moisture to allow you to handle it to put it in a plastic bag. You'll have to play with it so it's not too wet or too dry.

Will the baccy still absorb flavoring if I do it this way?

Or should I spray it with my flavoring but dilute it with water so that it can be absorbed. I wonder if my flavoring is too dense to be absorbed. I'm using cherry flavoring that you add to drinks and then sometime I'm using a caramel coffee additive too...

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Most of the casing recipes I've read were diluted in water to serve the dual purpose of adding flavor and to bring up the moisture content. Getting it a little too moist is no problem as the water will evaporate until you have the right moisture and the flavoring will remain. I've never made or used a casing so this is guess work based on my reading here on the forum.
The casing section may have some answers: http://www.fairtradetobacco.com/forumdisplay.php?36-Casing

AmaxB

Mist and place in a sealed container / container in warm environment. After a few goes you will know how much to mist to reach a case of your liking.
I put mine in tubes.
Another way is to use a large plastic type pane (24 -30" long) place a wet towel on the bottom with a raised screen above it. Put the tobacco on the screen and cover, allow a day and check it...
I do this with Cigar wrapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.