Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Afordable care act and you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Interestingly, the American Lung Association and the American Cancer Society, both of which support the "Affordable Care Act," are nevertheless opposed to the tobacco surcharge because they believe it will make insurance unaffordable for smokers. ALA's Jennifer Singleterry was quoted, "Tobacco surcharges are not proven to help tobacco users quit and there are major concerns that they will prevent people from getting health care coverage ... Charging tobacco users more in health insurance premiums, sometimes thousands of dollars more, studies have shown, will price smokers out of the market."
Smokers are the only group with projected higher-than-average medical costs that Obamacare penalizes ... drug addicts, alcoholics, and the obese (among others) are not penalized. Only 11 states have stepped in to prevent the surcharge (I don't which ones those are); in the remaining 39 states, insurers will decide the surcharge.

Forgive me if the picture is too political but it's truthful nonetheless
hands-in-pockets-300x336.jpg

winston-smoker

Massachusetts, Vermont, Rhode Island, and the District of Columbia have classified tobacco use as a "pre-existing medical condition" to prevent the tobacco surcharge. I'm still searching for the other states. I'll update my findings.

California has eliminated the surcharge for people covered by small business and through the individual market.

P.S. The surcharge goes into effect in 2015, according to obamacarefacts.com.

winston-smoker

I'm in some luck: New Jersey state law prohibits insurance companies from charging high premiums for tobacco use (it also prohibits employment discrimination against tobacco users -- I already knew that). That doesn't mean I'm not still worried about my policy getting canceled, and having to replace it with a higher costing policy.

New York has the same law.

Update on California: California has the same law.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I have insurance through my wife's work. The insurance company charges us $80.00 more per month because I'm a smoker.

winston-smoker

Is it just a coincidence that the very states that have taken action to prevent the tobacco surcharge are the same ones that have some of the highest cigarette taxes? Could it be that they're concerned that if too many people were to quit all at once that the resulting loss of tax revenue would blow a hole in their budgets?

Boboro

I think Ill have more time to grow tobacco next year cause I am about to sit on my ass and get the free health care. Ive had a horable back for the last few years an cant go to see a doc. I may have mental issues as well. Yall get ready to pull a little harder Im about to jump on the wagon. Its my onley leagle ouption. I think Its disgraseful.

COLIN

Well back home from hospital I have been diagnose with pulmonary tuberculosis from the silicosis a work related disease which is covered by ACC. I have been put on a high course of antibiotic's which really knocks me around. I have to take these for six months and are on home isolation for the first month so will have plenty of time to participate on forum. I have many pounds of leaf from last years grow witch I can start playing with. Good to see that most of you had a good season and hopefully keeped some seed for me for next season.Colin

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Well back home from hospital I have been diagnose with pulmonary tuberculosis from the silicosis a work related disease which is covered by ACC. I have been put on a high course of antibiotic's which really knocks me around. I have to take these for six months and are on home isolation for the first month so will have plenty of time to participate on forum. I have many pounds of leaf from last years grow witch I can start playing with. Good to see that most of you had a good season and hopefully keeped some seed for me for next season.Colin

Good to have you back, Colin. Good luck with your treatment. Cheers.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Once again, some of you are pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable to post on the forum. I'm not going to come in a delete inappropriate comments again

Keep it civil or the thread is gone.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
might as well delete it,

Last edited by a moderator:

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Bring it up anywhere else on the forum and you'll be banned. Racist remarks will not be tolerated here regardless of how cleverly you think you've disguised them.

I'm not in the mood for playing pissing games. You'll get your reputation back in a week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.