Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Deans grow log 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean

Rain max I'm Southern Hemisphere. So these are pretty late and will be my second crop. Still have a good 4-5 months of growing and we generally avoid frosts till June.

cheers

Dean

These are the same seedlings they have really jumped. pretty happy with the growth, they are getting a lot of food atm.

one of the beds they are going into, wetting down to settle the soil, I call this one the gravel bed. micro heads are 4' apart. 8" of nice old compost and then varying amounts of clay, sand and gravel. I was lazy and finally raked it clean today. this bed has seen a couple of tonnes of hoarse recently, most gone to the worms. The only saving grace of this bed is that after establishing a root zone they can tap a seep all year. The water table is about 2" from the surface here.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That's going to make a nice patch. I'm just itching to get some seedlings up. I still have my starts from the germination tests I haven't been able to bring myself to throw out yet. I'll see how long they go without water.

Dean

Bit of progress today, I strung my shade cloth and got my wrappers in so 8 FL Sumatra are now in the ground.

i squared up the gravel bed, and pre dug a few holes, 96 to be exact. I'll irrigate tomorow and plant them out on Monday. I still have 2 beds left to turn over, rake and space out. It looks like I will get about 180 in at a 2' spacing which was the goal. I'm now getting a bit worried with 140 plants in my front yard for the worlds to see and the governments stance on it.

Protest via via propogation I say... I don't smoke weed or do anything else deemed illegal and I reckon I have the right as a human being, a man, to grow an organic self supportive crop. A legal comodity.

cheers guys

Deano.

Dean

Knucks, my argument is redundant, I have all my applications for permit on record and held off premises. I fit all the criteria at one stage but a permit was still denied. I had the barb fences and a dog and video. I ticked all boxes, it should have been a case of submitting the form and growing but no..... If I had thaught about it and gone to court, more so if I had the backing of the Aussies here we would have been able to fight it. I ticked every box by law... No permit... It seems unless you are big baccy in oz you have no right as a citizen. I don't want to live with 12' barb wire topped fences or 24hr security but in the work I was in I hD the stipulations. Still no permit... I protested... No fault to me still no permit... So I just grow it...

Dean

There is supposed legislation in place that will allow me to grow... But it seems it doesn't matter if you comply with the said legislation you are still unable to grow without a permitt they will not issue. If you ask for your permitt it seems to always be lost.... Bull crap it's lost, I have used resistedost to send the applications. Someone signed for the lost paperwork. It is becoming. Joke here and I am wondering why more Aussies rant posting here.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I don't blame you one bit. I would be doing the same thing. Good luck with your grow and confusion to the idjits.

Dean

You have no idea how annoyed I am right now, more frustrated than anything. Since 06 when thy took all baccy production out of oz it may as well be pot.

No one will grow it openly fearing jaol time, I think a Lot of who were growing it were not for themselves either. Black market has not helped me or my cause. I can't help the bad apples. But I would appreciate a symperthetic government that actually deals with the real man not just a number or a piece of paper.

Dean

160 in the ground 16 to so to go, started a few weeks behind the main. I still have 35 in pots suckering and another 15 or so in the ground also suckering. Will post piccies tomorow.

It was a big day in the summer sun.

cheers

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
your little plants look very healthy, im sure oyour grow will be sucessfull.

kinda odd, in your region you gotta get a permit,???????

it's a real odd world we live in,

Dean

Shade grown FL Sumatra.

Turks 1' spacing, there is Bursa and Bafra separated by 5m of chillis and other veg.

The Gravel bed, 96 plants in 2' spacing 26" between rows. it will be a tight squeeze down there to prime but I have used all my space.

cheers

Brown Thumb

You are off to a rolling start, Looking Good.
Have a Super Season.
BT

DGBAMA

Looking good Dean. I hope you put the fastest growing variety closest to the rock wall so they don't "shade out" the others.

Dean

Plants have settled nicely for the most part. The black soil is hampering my establishment by wilting to the point of burning towards mid day and beyond. When the ground reading is above 60degC the little fellows don't have much of a chance to withstand it. I have solved some of this heat problem by misting in the hottest part of the day and have only yesterday run a 6 inch ring of cocoanut fibre around many of the plants. Not only does it hold a bit of moisture but it has taken the contact temperature down to less than 40 degrees C.

ill get some photoes up on Monday when I have my day off.

this time of year most of the bugs succome to heat stress and die so it is a much better time to grow. The constant heat and no humidity are the killers for seedlings. I think I have managed to only loose 4 from birds of all things eating them. Such is the aussie bush that anything soft enough to eat is eaten. They were stripped and pulled out but I replanted them, still alive so we will see if they come through. There are still over 180 in the ground.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The misting you mentioned worries me. Sun scald is very possible using moisture in the hot part of the day. Be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.