Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Poms Budget Float Tray System From Scrap

Well it is so hard to find a float tray on the other side of the pond. So I had to make my own. I put a few pictures on my grow blogg of the first one I made. But over the summer I was looking at making it easier for anyone to make one themselves so I have tried most things on how you can make one out of scrap materials

This was the picture of the float tray system in the propagator

And these were what the little cups looked like. You notice it was designed and I left the blue drink drinking bit on.

So after this summer I have worked on something easy that can be built out of scrap, all you need is the following items.

Something that floats it is best to use a closed cell material, a drill and hole cutter, a rule,, some coconut fibre, some old cases from the skip or the dump, some old plastic bottles.

Cut the plastic bottle down to the height that you require and remove all the screw on top and rubbish. Role up a small piece of coconut fibre and insert in the neck of the plastic bottle and fill with your preferred growing medium.
    and then launch your float tray.

The one on the right is the one I used for testing this year as you can see it is full with spring onions and lettuce for the new year.Growing with a float tray is far better than starting them in pots
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tray.jpg   1365855723.jpg   DSCF0145__1385651633_46.33.131.43.jpg   DSCF0146__1385651835_46.33.131.43.jpg   DSCF0148__1385652006_46.33.131.43.jpg  

Tube.jpg  
    "When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations,
    the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic. Dresden James

Re: The Poms Budget Float Tray System From Scrap

Looks good Mark, I like the use of coconut as a Wick. What did you feed them on? I may have to steal I mean borrow this idea lol
    The line between what is known scientifically and what has to be assumed in order to support knowledge is impossible to draw. Memory itself is an internal rumour;
    twitter: @uktobaccogrower

Big slabs of polystyrene works well if you can get it..drill holes for whatever pots or cups then float it in water trays..
    Todd

I like this idea . Its Got my brain swirrling, I am lacking coconuts
    It is bigger than the small trays and a little smaller than the med trays,
    I have a change in sprouts this coming yr.
    Thanks. MarkW

Quote Originally Posted by darren1979 View Post
    Looks good Mark, I like the use of coconut as a Wick. What did you feed them on? I may have to steal I mean borrow this idea lol

I use Chempak number 2 or 3 you should be able to get this for about £4 a pack, I also add Epson Salts to my mix

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/garde...la-3/kww2551TM
    "When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations,
    the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic. Dresden James

I forgot to mention, Chempak NPK No 2 is 25:15:15 and No 3 is 15:15:15. when setting this up you weigh you pot with moist compost and allow extra for the weight of the plant. you can then calculate the spacings or thickness of your float material, if you get it wrong it will sink !! also you will need to check the PH of the feed water.
    The good thing with using old bottles is you can lift them out and move them around is you so wish.or if you muck up your dirt mix let it dry out.

I have been using 8 cell seedling trays set in a cut down foam box, holds 10 of these so 80 to the box. I punch a 1/4" hole in all four sides 1/2" from the bottom. Level stays at a constant and every few days is drained out easily by tilting the box and refreshed with water or nutrient. If there is interest I will take a few piccies.

cheers

Hi Dean yes please post a picture, I only decided on using the plastic bottles as they are easy to clean and sterilise . I use them all year round so they could be cleaned quite a few times.

Nothing wrong with it if it is working well.

I am a frugal bastard as well and have used what was on hand.

The box with cells

Holes in box on all four sides incase some block up. it holds around 4 litres of water, and or 4l is needed for a watering with some standing

its that simple. if you want to feed use nutrient if not just use water.

this tray and a couple more like it have seen a good 12 months of work and have started all my veg and baccy from carrots to tomatoes, the only thing that didn't like it was cabbage family.

Pardon the stare of them this one is not in use as it dried out, it used to be full of baccy plants. 3 40deg days and 18 hour shifts will do that

cheers

Dean.

Mark, I like it! You've got me thinking now, I guess the 2014 season has started.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast