Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: The Poms Budget Float Tray System From Scrap

Mark, I was just pondering the system I have in place and if I was in an enclosed greenhouse situation where nutrients are at a premium cost wise I would add some hose to the drain holes and pump back in like a closed hydroponic system. Used to work in a shop that sold that sort of stuff even though none of it benefited me.

a recirculating nutrient system could be set up very easily, you commented that ph makes a difference to growth so I will assume some horticulture knowledge of hydroponics. I would think it would make a difference to my plants too but have found tap water at neutral where I hive is ok, I usually mix rain and tap for a ph of 6.

Hi there Leverhead. I think the season never stops, there is always something to do it just keeps rolling over each year .

Dean yes I did try a solar pond pump for a few weeks this year but it's just the extra cost. I even tried a aquarium bubble matt to try to get more air to the root system I think the most important thing is that there is space for the roots to grow down into the water.

Don't know how the picture of the rocket stove got on here ???
    "When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations,
    the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic. Dresden James

Mate what you see in my piccies are as complicated as it gets, I hand water. Fill em up to the level needed, although this year I will have a mains power pump set up for times I am at work overextended days. If I don't have this I will loose my second crop, I can't afford for that to happen. The same setup has grown me all I ever want from a veg garden and all my baccy.
    i think it is a proven method like yours only slightly diff.

hoarses for coarses use what works and on hand that is my motto.

cheers

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Hi there Leverhead. I think the season never stops, there is always something to do it just keeps rolling over each year .

Dean yes I did try a solar pond pump for a few weeks this year but it's just the extra cost. I even tried a aquarium bubble matt to try to get more air to the root system I think the most important thing is that there is space for the roots to grow down into the water.

Don't know how the picture of the rocket stove got on here ???
    I thought the stove was your new idea how to run your flue chamber lol..
    Todd

why don't you just build an ebb+flow table with a cheap aquarium pump and a timer? if you do be careful once the seedlings get established they will go wild. i grow leaf lettuce in three weeks till harvest. it is easy to get your plants to big to quick and still have freezing tempratures.

This is a bit off topic but I see talk of a rocket stove and joking about making it a flue chamber. That made me laugh because I've been thinking about building a small rocket mass kiln.

Hi Aaron firstly I love the pipe a lot of hard work has gone into making that lovely pipe. I think a rocket stove would work for a fire curing chamber but I think controlling the temperature would be the hardest thing to overcome. I was only looking at making one for baking bread and cooking yet another thing to keep me busy Lol.
    "When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations,
    the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic. Dresden James

Thanks Mark I've only experimented with small rocket stoves made of fire brick but I was thinking of using a small rocket stove with a large cob mass to store the heat. I'll try to gather my thoughts on this and start a different thread soon.

That might be a good idea Aaron on starting a thread. I have looked at Cob for storage i am not sure at what temperatures you would need to get up to. The thing is to scrub out as much heat as possible into the storage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12