Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Could you guys please give me a hand with my fridge kiln?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenthunderbolt

Having scrapped the insulated cardboard box i finally got a fridge/freezer to use to build a proper kiln.

It wasn't going and i payed a guy $20 to drop it off; he came while i was out - lucky him i wouldn't have take it if I was home - filthy, somewhat dodge seals and it looks like someone whaled on it with an axe!

Still, it's mine it'll do for now.

The picture above is it after i gutted it and spent an hour and a half cleaning it with bleach!

My questions:

Q1. What is the best way to seal the cut out between the freezer and fridge? (It was a pig of a job to do with the jig saw - i can see why a single door fridge is the recommended device to use!)

Any sealants I should definitely stay away from? Can i cut black polythene garden plastic and glue and seal over the gap? Who's got the brightest idea? :D

My current thinking is to use the bottom freezer compartment to hold a couple of fans (on the lower level pointing up) with the crock pot above them. I have a ball valve i can install in the top if i need more ventilation than the dicky seals give me :mad: (I may put it in anyway so that i can run it with a heat pad, and fans to use for making jerky too (when i don't have leaf it it obviously :p)

Top section will be where i hang the baccy - i can slot dowells into the grooves that are moulded in to take the shelves and use them as the baccy sticks.
I might perhaps be able to fit a few agee jars in the bottom for further curing or something like that too

Q2. Can i wire computer fans directly into a 12v transformer? - i've got a bunch of them

I've got a digital thermometer and humidistat that i will run through the wall of the fridge and a digital temperature controller (-9 c to 120C) that i will wire into a multi box that i can run the crock pot and wee fans off - hopefully i can run it's probe through the wall with the gauge rather than having to have it inside (haven't received it yet so don't know if it runs based on a differential temp, or if it's probe can sense all by it's-self.

Q3. Is silicone caulk the best thing to use to seal the gash in the outer wall? It's about 6 inches long.

I'll get some more polystyrene foam and glue it to the top back and sides for additional insulation just leaving the front of the unit as is.

Thanks in advance for your advice folks, I really appreciate what you have to offer! :)

Fisherman

I am using one of those hydroponic atomizer things that sonically produce water vapor and mist. I installed it outside so is not need for piping other than the produced vapor. That and a humidity PID and you got complete control of high humidity.

I dont see why you couldnt pipe in smoke when yu needed it.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
do you plan on heating it, with a crock pot, and a heating element, or a '' heat lamp ''???

i have a freezer, that im thinking of converting, to a '' smoker'' to put some '' oak/smoke'' flavour to some of my next year crops leaf,

but with thats setup. a heat lamp, and crockpot, may do you good,

it is the space, issue i would fall into in, by using a kiln of that size,

for a small crop it would be perfect, or if you was doing specific leaves for cigar/pipe purposes,

i grow a bigger than normal crop.

my kiln is huge, perhaps 7 of those freexers stacked next to each other,

but i also started out with a small kiln, and it showed me i needed to go BIGGER..

it's good to experiment, this kiln will show you what your next one will be,

i think leverhead, has built the most awesome kiln ive seen on here,

but '' search '' the word kiln, im sure youll see some good pictures, and some good examples of them at work,

good luck with your project.

leverhead

...hydroponic atomizer things that sonically produce water vapor and mist. I installed it outside so is not need for piping other than the produced vapor. That and a humidity PID and you got complete control of high humidity...

That's a damn good idea!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
'' hydrophonic atomizer''???????

well im out of this build, you just went way above my head,,,,,

dry bulb/ wet bulb?????? i still think thats very confusing,????

but you got leverheads attention, so your going into the right direction,

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
perhaps ill call '' SCOTTY'' from the starship enterprise, im sure hell bloody tell me what it is,,,,lol

Fisherman

I am using 2 of these which contain 3 heads each. I think 1 unit for fridge would work. My unit I added extra unit to reach 100% easy. The high 90's were evading me with only one. Good thing is that it builds fast and required no filling of inside as all is accomplished outside.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I used the can foam. Great stuff. I just left it as it dried with the shine on it. Almost bullet proof.
I have seen some real nice ones on this site. That one is nice for a starter. (small crop) Good job so far. " DID YOU CUT YERSELF DOIN THAT"? Looks scarry! But will be nice when it's done.

jekylnz

J where did you get your temp/humidistat from and how much did it cost you? Ive got a fridge like that .which I'm planning on doing the same with. .but at the moment im still trying to work out if it's better than the one we're using inside as a fridge.lol ..im trying to get the Mrs to clean it for me..
I would use something else if you're gonna fire cure...smoke will flavour everything after as well..could be good for your jerky. Haha.
One thing id like to know. .does anyone know how much heat the plastic ina fridge will handle? Do you think iy would take temps. Like 140f?

Brown Thumb

For kilning that is fine. 125 degrees. Don't try to flue cure in her.

Frozenthunderbolt

J where did you get your temp/humidistat from and how much did it cost you?
Got the thermostat from trademe $40 landed at my door. I guess the other is a digital thermometer and humidity meter, rather than a humidistat, but will allow me to monitor and adjust the ball valve without opening it all up - about $13 on Trademe all up.

Definitly go a single door rather than cutting out the center, please! I had to spend about another $40-50 on Aluminised waterproofing tape wide enough to seal the cut out section.

As far as heat goes the bottom section - the freezer has a steel liner while the top fridge section is plastic - I'm going to use a crock pot for heat and humidity (at least initialy - may need to alter depending on what readings i get) I'm hoping the upper plastic will handle the ambient heat - it wont get any direct radiant heat from the pot, so I'm crossing my fingers that will be ok.

I do actualy have a nebuliser that i could use to produce water vapour, but I'd rather avoid adding MORE holes to this unit!

Thanks for the advice about smoke taint - don't want to have to wash it out with bleach too often, so I guess i'll just run it as a kiln until I can find a free single door upright and make it into a new kiln, then i'll turn this one into a fire cure/smoker unit.

Cheer s for all the input guys - all great stuff ;)

Ishi

Set it on blocks and use a 5 gal pail with lid. Cut a door in the lid Lay it in its side and put a hole through the top of the pail bottom and use a 3 inch pipe and an elbow to put smoke on the frig. You can control the heat in the frig with the draft on the can and how long the pipe is.

Status
Not open for further replies.