Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Very good Glossary of tobacco related words and terms

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
From http://www.aointl.com/au/glossary.asp

Here are a few pertinent ones.

air-curing One of four main methods of curing, which involves removing all of the natural sap and moisture from tobacco leaves. Air-curing is a natural drying process in which harvested tobacco leaves are hung to dry in an air-curing barn. The barn is a wooden structure that can be either closed completely or ventilated, depending on weather conditions. The barn is closed to conserve moisture in dry conditions; in wet conditions, moisture is removed by opening vents in the roof and/or opening side walls that are specially constructed for this purpose. For the most part, air-cured tobacco is dried with natural heat; however, humid weather conditions may require a limited amount of artificial heat. Tobacco that has been air-cured is typically brown in color.

dark air-cured tobacco A type of tobacco that is distinguished from other types primarily by the fermentation process it undergoes. It is the fermentation that gives dark air-cured tobacco its medium- to dark-brown color and distinct aroma. Dark air-cured tobacco is used in cigars, dark cigarettes, pipe mixtures, and chewing tobaccos. Light air-cured tobacco, in contrast, is not fermented at all.

fermentation There are primarily two types of fermentation, natural fermentation and forced fermentation, with the duration of the process ranging from two days to two months or more. Natural fermentation, sometimes known as aging, is a chemical reaction caused by moisture and warm temperatures; it occurs when tobacco is packaged in bales or hogsheads. Natural fermentation generally gives tobacco a more uniform color and a milder taste. Forced fermentation involves placing tobacco in huge stacks so that the chemical reaction caused by the moisture and warm temperatures is intensified by the pressure the tobacco is under. Forced fermentation generally gives tobacco a more uniform color, as well as a smoother aroma and taste.

Maryland tobacco Used primarily in American-blend and Maryland cigarettes, this type of tobacco is light air-cured and has a neutral taste. Although first grown in the U.S. state of Maryland , this type of tobacco is now grown in other regions of the U.S. and in various other countries.

sun-curing One of four main methods of curing, which involves removing all of the natural sap and moisture from tobacco leaves. This method of curing involves exposing tobacco leaves to full sunlight, thereby drying the leaves completely. All oriental tobacco and certain types of Virginia tobacco are sun-cured.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Definately a must have for us newbies. I've been printing stuff and putting it behind the pages of my future grow log. It's already overflowing. I'm going to have to get a ring binder to put all this printed material in. Good stuff Fm keep it coming.

BarG

Founding Member
Definately a must have for us newbies. I've been printing stuff and putting it behind the pages of my future grow log. It's already overflowing. I'm going to have to get a ring binder to put all this printed material in. Good stuff Fm keep it coming.

Great post Some more reading to get through and i need to restock on ink to print things like this off

Have you tried to save on your computer. i just experimented and found I could create a folder in favorites list for FTT stuff. I then highlighted the text and added to my favorites list in the new folder and it worked. Each new addition to the folder will take you directly to the post you want. Could save a bundle considering the price of ink and printer paper. I don't know for sure but you may be able to back that up on a cd rom if you ever change internet provider or your internet address.

I'm going to start saving this way as this forum expands and threads increase when I see something i Need for future reference I can look in my folder for a direct link.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've been doing that with the books so far. Short stuff I print up to read later during commercials or while trying to get sleepy. LOL

Randy

Have you tried to save on your computer. i just experimented and found I could create a folder in favorites list for FTT stuff. I then highlighted the text and added to my favorites list in the new folder and it worked. Each new addition to the folder will take you directly to the post you want. Could save a bundle considering the price of ink and printer paper. I don't know for sure but you may be able to back that up on a cd rom if you ever change internet provider or your internet address.

I'm going to start saving this way as this forum expands and threads increase when I see something i Need for future reference I can look in my folder for a direct link.

Thats funny BarG have done the same thing after about a week here great way to rember the most important facts in one folder on desktop..

Randy

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Another way to save any web page is (at least in IE) to select File | Save As... Then save the page as a single file archive (*.mht). This will save the page, its images etc. onto your computer, and can then be viewed even when not connected to the Internet.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Another way to save any web page is (at least in IE) to select File | Save As... Then save the page as a single file archive (*.mht). This will save the page, its images etc. onto your computer, and can then be viewed even when not connected to the Internet.

Bob

That works for me if I open with micro soft Excel. Learn something new every day.

Edit; I can actualy right click and export to excel and then start a new folder in my documents for future FTT web pages. My first attempt was a little hit and miss till I chose excel to open.

dR_wH0

Ahhh this thread is very good for amateurs/beginners such as me poor self!! May I suggest someone makes this a sticky ? It did took me a while to find it!