Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

the deed is done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

wrappers 2013.jpgsungrown 2013.jpg
Planted my cigar tobacco this week end.
Sun grown- Vuelta abajo, Hue Huetenago, Little Dutch, Pen Red, Zimmer Spanish, Con Broad leaf and Flor Sumatra(wrapper)

Shade grown- Com Spanish, Long Red, Black stalk Mammoth, Con Broad leaf, as an experiment.
Total of 90 plants, would have liked more but loads died, fertilzer problem. lets hope the hail and stroms has gone for a few months.
Ben

istanbulin

Founding Member
Your patch is looking really good, congrats ! I forgot to update my topic about the shade grown Comstock Spanish but I can say it worths to grow in shade. While sun grown leaves are really robust for being a wrapper - they caused lip burn/bite for me - shade grown leaves are mild, thin but a little smaller.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I see some hard work behind you and perfect growing weather ahead. Good luck on your year. Great patch!

Brown Thumb

You got the dirty done, Now Comes the Fun, Very nice looking Patches, Good Luck on your season.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
your drip line looks very effeciant,

allthough bacca dont like to have wet feet, a overhead irrigation system would best suit bacca purposes,

i dont know what type of dirt pest's you have there, but keep a eye on thing's, you may do fine,

im so on the fence, about using a drip line,,,,, i have the materials to do it,

but to my knowledge no-one has done a dedicated drip-line, irrigation system,

keep us updated, and lot's of pic's.

DGBAMA

On high humidity nights even in dry weather, many of my plants had a puddle/wet spot at thebase in the morning. The big leaves gather moisture from the air and funnel itto the base ofthe plant. Almost self watering.

Markw

jekylnz

So Is it likely that it originated in cuba..but ended up in costa Rica .nicoragua.etc. during the cuba embargo. import ban?
Thanks for that mark...it kinda clears things up. .I was talking to drbob about it and knew it was a cigar type..but when I seen it on the ftt seed bank list..also spelt slightly differently. .I was a bit confused. .there's a big difference between an oriental and a cigar wrapper. .all very interesting though. .

Ben Brand

When I was a comercial tobacco farmer many years ago,(only Flu-cured),I only planted under center pivot, decided 1 year to give drip irrigation a go, planted 15 Ha of RK3, Zimbabwe variety, won the farmer of the year for most kg/ ha and best quality, from then on I was hooked on dripper irrigation. My plants looked very well last season, until the hail and wind wacked them.
In my area we have a lot of trouble with rootknot nematodes (eelworm as I call them) if you stand on one spot to long the eat the socks of your legs:mad:, last season I didn`t use any poison and I could see at the end of the season that I had root damage, so this season I used Vydate granulles, hopefully that will help with that damage. Other problems was aphids, tried to not use chemicals last season but will use some Decis this year to try and get that under control.
Ben

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I didn't need my drip very much last year due to the excessive rain, but I'll lay it down again this coming season. I feel better knowing it's there if I need it. It was nice after planting seedlings to just turn the faucet on and let all the babies get watered in. It also takes the timing out of watering in the second dose of fertilizer. I prefer it to overhead due to there is less chance of leaf scald and it's easy to put down and take up for reuse year after year.

Status
Not open for further replies.