Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

a strong heirloom burley variety

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeStack

I grew a little bit of Yellow Twist Bud this year and purchased a small amount Yellow Twist a Bud from a FTT member. I smoked them both in a pipe and found Yellow Twist Bud is not as robust as TN90 for example. Could someone suggest an heirloom variety of Burley that is more on the stout side? Also, is YTB supposed to be on the light side? All comments and suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

DGBAMA

My understanding of YTB is it is a"white stemmed" Burley, which makes it milder but easier to cure with good results.

springheal

My understanding of YTB is it is a"white stemmed" Burley, which makes it milder but easier to cure with good results.

Ditto, which is why I want to grow it next season as curing is a breeze and it's reputed to be mild and popular for cigarette use.

Markw

I grew YTB and TN 90 this year and it is correct YTB is much milder, TN 90 is a stronger smoke but I have issues with it as it takes longer to colour cure hence (mould) Last year I crew Monte Calne Yellow this has a good flavour I think this is a Burley tobacco but I might be incorrect.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I grew a little bit of Yellow Twist Bud this year and purchased a small amount Yellow Twist a Bud from a FTT member. I smoked them both in a pipe and found Yellow Twist Bud is not as robust as TN90 for example. Could someone suggest an heirloom variety of Burley that is more on the stout side? Also, is YTB supposed to be on the light side? All comments and suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

This site has good descriptions and pictures of the varieties. Burley 21 is an heirloom for example. Green Brior is full flavored. Click on the varietal name. Sky's site. http://www.nwtseeds.com/seed_list.htm

SmokeStack

This site has good descriptions and pictures of the varieties. Burley 21 is an heirloom for example. Green Brior is full flavored. Click on the varietal name. Sky's site. http://www.nwtseeds.com/seed_list.htm

Thanks for the link. That is a good site. It even list the GRIN number for the seed. I think Burley 21 will be on my list to plant next season; that is, if I can narrow it down some. Have you grown Green Brior before? If so, how would you compare it to YTB or TN90?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Completely different animal in my book. It didn't color cure quickly or evenly, smoke was harsh kinda bitter. It might be an ok filler for cigarettes if you have a strong main tobacco.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've only grown TN 90. Next year I plan to grow Golden Burley, a medium flavored Burley with decent production that grows to 5' tall with 30" x 12" leaves and excellent curability. It will be easier for me to tend to from the chair. I may also grow some TN 86, a full flavored Burley that Sky recommends.

TheOtherOne

Speaking of, how is Harrow velvet as far as being smooth/robust? I've experienced Silver river, and Tn-90, but I've heard the first isn't a true burley despite other common names for the strain

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I wouldn't consider Silver River a Burley at all. It might have a white stem, but beyond that, there are no similarities (IMO). It grows much more like a Havana 142 where it doesn't even start to bud until it's 8 feet tall....that's not a Burley.

Markw

I wouldn't consider Silver River a Burley at all. It might have a white stem, but beyond that, there are no similarities (IMO). It grows much more like a Havana 142 where it doesn't even start to bud until it's 8 feet tall....that's not a Burley.

I would totally agree with that Don, I can't see it is a Burley. what ever it is it is darn good.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Harrow Velvet is like...well...velvet. Mild, smooth, fairly light in color. It makes some beautiful, blond cigar wrapper.

Bob

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
I grew harrow velvet and golden burley this year and found that the were rather robust but, if these are mild, then I guess those that are stronger would really kick butt. I noticed that the taste right off was similar to a cigar, but once aged and blended with some fluecured, it adds that boldness I'm so fond of.

SmokeStack

I grew harrow velvet and golden burley this year and found that the were rather robust but, if these are mild, then I guess those that are stronger would really kick butt. I noticed that the taste right off was similar to a cigar, but once aged and blended with some fluecured, it adds that boldness I'm so fond of.

This year I was not able to harvest my tobacco in the traditional sense, so I let it cure on the stalk out on the field. The yellow twist bud cured well and produced a good smoke; however, the harrow velvet did not survive the first (minor) frost and the leaves remained green. I will definitely grow YTB again. It is very easy to grow and produces a good amount of tobacco. It is relatively mild compared to the Madole and Kentucky I grew. But maybe if I blended YTB with Burley 21, I might get an nice multidimensional Burley pipe blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.