Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Green Cigar

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
I wish I could remember the name of that awesome green cigar I smoked.

A coworker of my dads gave him a cigar a long while back. I was in my late teens when my dad gave me that cigar one new years eve. I was the best cigar I've ever had. It had a creamy soda like taste/feel, smooth, not harsh on the throat, and very pleasant taste. It came in a aluminum tube and the name might of started with a 'G'. anyway...

In light of this, I was wondering if anyone on the forum here has been experimenting with trying to make a green cigar. From what I understand, There is still a special curing done (as opposed to just letting it dry green) If I ever get more info on this, I might just try my hand at this too.

istanbulin

Founding Member
The green cigar/wrapper is achieved by picking the tobacco leaves (wrapper) before maturity and drying the leaves quickly. This ensures that the chlorophyll content of the leaves is retained. I only smoked Garcia Y Vega, Arturo Fuente and Iguana candela cigars, all three have similar taste (to me) which is mild, grassy, woody, peppery and a kind of sweet. I made a guess about the cigar you smoked ;

v6467.jpg

chillardbee

Well, I stoped off at the smoke shop and they only had 2 types of green cigars. Cigar 1 is the No 263 super coronas. cigar 2 is Bances.

2013-12-06 17.55.41-1.JPG

The baccy in them is brown though where the cigar I had back in the day was actually a green filler. I will smoke these cigars and give a reveiw.

chillardbee

Alright. just smoked the cigar 2, the Bances. Out of the package it had a subtle sweet smell, a freshness to it. It lit easily but did not burn evenly for most of the duration. the smoke smell mildly sweet with no harshness at all. The taste was similar in texture to the one I remember smoking way back when but with a little difference in the taste. The taste is mild with a sweet cole slaw type of taste (the closest I can describe it). Over all it was a good smoke but not the same as the one I had smoked back then.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You're probably mis-remembering your green cigar of yesteryear. Green tobacco (candela) tastes just horrible as a filler. A year and a half ago, I sent Johnlee1933 a hand of candela that I had made, since he was interested in green wrappers. He nearly threw out all of it, until I pointed out that it was just for wrapper, not filler. (He then dug through his trash, found my packaging, and located the note to that effect--a note that he had not seen.) Your green cigar of old may have used blond filler, rather than dark.

Bances is (or at least used to be) manufactured by the same folks that make Hoyo de Monterrey and Punch. Bances is machine made, and uses less expensive fillers. In fact, they were made in the same factory in Tampa, Florida that made the machine-rolled Hoyo de Monterrey #55--a fabulous 35 cent cigar, which is, alas, extinct. Over the years, I bought dozens of boxes of HdM #55 maduros. But I found Bances to be an enjoyable, light smoke.

Bob

chillardbee

Tried the other one (marked as 1 in the photo) for my New years eve celebratory smoke. I liked it. It was the closest yet to that cigar I had back in the day. It lit up easy and had a nice even burn. The taste was mellow and creamy but maybe not as much as the #2 cigar.the smoke was thicker but very pleasent. you could see the resins forming at the draw hole about half way through smoking. I'd smoke this type again and I prefer it to the first one I reveiwed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.