Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

FX Smith's Sons

webmost

Tell ya, if I were a cigarette smoker these days I'd have to roll my own. You haven't been able to buy decent cigs for decades.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Tell ya, if I were a cigarette smoker these days I'd have to roll my own. You haven't been able to buy decent cigs for decades.

I have two cartons of left over Pall Malls that I just can't bring myself to smoke. I guess I'll give them away.

DonH

I have two cartons of left over Pall Malls that I just can't bring myself to smoke. I guess I'll give them away.

I bought a pack of Camel unfiltered recently, just to check them out. I ripped off the FSC paper and rerolled one, and it tasted like crap. Ours is so much better. Luckily I left the pack in my coat pocket, and visited NYC this weekend. One guy was panhandling near Times Square and was asking for nicotine, so I gave him the pack.

winston-smoker

If you really want to "punish" the panhandlers, buy some Pyramids to give them ... well, that would be "cruel and unusual punishment." Maybe the nanny regime in power in NYC might pass a law making it illegal to give tobacco products to poor people (I wouldn't put it past them), though I ought to be careful here, I don't want to give them any new ideas!

Didn't I say before that we start making our own for the savings in cost, but keep at it because of the improved quality? Unfortunately, most MYOers are using so-called "gas station" brands of pipe-cut tobacco, which are still largely expanded tobacco and recon tobacco sheet, not much better than what's in commercial cigarettes, only fewer additives. Though they're probably better off if they're at least smoking some of the better tasting brands of DP pipe tobacco than they would be otherwise ... perhaps some have "graduated" to premium brands like Daughters & Ryan (I can't include Peter Stokkebye here because the PS tobaccos are so heavily topped as to be practically unpalatable to most cigarette smokers). The advantage of whole leaves, aside from the better quality, is that you know exactly what is going inside your cigarettes. But there is a "cost," labor and time.

P.S. At least there is one option for getting a quality "pre-made" cigarette -- American Spirits. They cost about a dollar a pack more, but the quality, and the fact that there's roughly 25% more tobacco in them, makes them worth the premium in price.

DonH

Thanks, Webmost! My samples arrived today! They taste pretty good. Lots of nicotine, too.

RICH

I finally got a chance to try the 3 different kinds of FX Smith cigars that Webmost was kind enough to send me.The Smithdale Natural was the first (last Tuesday) and the Smithdale Madure was the last,which I had today late morning.These seemed to have a bit of nicotine as Don has mentioned but I stilled enjoyed them (though I should have had the madure later in the day,my fault not the cigars) Let me tell you that Webby sent me 2 of the bourbon infused Tuscorora's WOW!! I loved this cigar and I'm gonna get me more soon.The only "negative" for me was that they all had a tight draw to them,but with a little trimming they freed up and burned quite well.For a good honest Made in the USA cigar for a little over a buck you can't go wrong with these. Thanks again to Webmost for bringing them to our attention.

Southern Planter

Do not use gloves in the photos. It's all about learning not to burn a twenty dollar bill.

As to this:
Didn't I say before that we start making our own for the savings in cost, but keep at it because of the improved quality?

I have never been a cigarette smoker. That said, it may take some will power not to start, now that I have tried the stuff I grew.

I got a Top Cigarette Machine for Christmas, the four or five dollar type. Yesterday I rolled about 50 smokes to mail to a friend. I used a mix of mud lug, mid and tip leaf of strait burly. I stripped the leaf, cut it zig zag style, that is, rolling four leaves up like a dog turd and cutting diagonally with the wife's round quilt knife, then stuffed smokes in the machine. It took me three hours to role 50 that way. I smoked one of them, and was flabbergasted by how good it tasted. The ash hung on like it had a pin in it too. I rolled a few for my sister in law, (who has smoked all her life), and she said they were the best she ever smoked.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
S.P.- Just be aware that you are manufacturing a tobacco product, which becomes subject to taxes and possible licensing if you get caught. Even if you give it away instead of selling it. For your own use it's okay but transferring it to someone else can get you in trouble. The legal way to do it would be to send them the whole leaves and let them process it for their own use. I don't agree with their silly hair splitting regulations, but knowing them could save you money and trouble some day.

winston-smoker

Paranoia
Will destroy ya

I disagree. A little paranoia keeps you vigilant against dangers. It's a matter of proportion. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that there aren't real dangers lurking out there! LOL.

Now my older sister ... she's really paranoid! And I'm serious about that -- not joking.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
what a bunch of crap.

Congressmen like their cigars. Notice that they are usually exempted from new laws.

Also note the language: Sale or transfer of tobacco products.

If you so much as remove the midrib, you have just manufactured a tobacco product. This is okay for your own use.

Last edited:

webmost

By analogy: I live in the only state in the Union, they say, where it is illegal to brew your own beer. I've done it. Never gave it a thought. We've even got stores here selling the makings.

I must be a rebel I guess. Heck, I even walked my dog without a leash, once. Happy Birthday is copyrighted, and I sang that at a kid's party more than once.

Listen, I have some stogies here I rolled up last Winter out of WLT leaf. You want some, I'll mail you a couple. Lawbreaker? I don't care. Let 'em come and get me, they don't like it.

There's just got to be bigger fish to fry.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
By analogy: I live in the only state in the Union, they say, where it is illegal to brew your own beer. I've done it. Never gave it a thought. We've even got stores here selling the makings.

I must be a rebel I guess. Heck, I even walked my dog without a leash, once. Happy Birthday is copyrighted, and I sang that at a kid's party more than once.

Listen, I have some stogies here I rolled up last Winter out of WLT leaf. You want some, I'll mail you a couple. Lawbreaker? I don't care. Let 'em come and get me, they don't like it.

There's just got to be bigger fish to fry.

I agree 100% with everything you've said. But I think it's helpful to know the laws so a person can make up his own mind about whether or not to break them. I'd hate to see a person get busted for something he didn't know he was doing wrong, however remote the chance of getting caught. I do regret, however, using your thread to state all this.

Southern Planter

Any person who sells, transfers, or ships for profit cigarettes

The words "for profit" were in many of the paragraphs on that page, are you saying that a gift of 50 home grown home processed cigarettes, from a farmer, in a box that includes home made wild mulberry jam and dilly beans for Christmas is covered by the pact act?