Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Purple mold while germinating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALaholic

I looked at my germinating tray today, and found 1/4" purple spots. Disappointed, thinking it is mold. Opened it up and found seeds have germinated. But this purple stuff, never seen it before. Is it mold?

darren1979

First Time Grower
I've never seen purple mold before, any chance of a pic? What have you germinated the seed on? Maybe that's contaminated.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
My opinion is this mold has nothing to do with the tobacco seeds. I believe the source contamination is the water, the paper towel or the spores are simply airborne.

In that it's growing on or near the tobacco seeds, is purely coincidental.

darren1979

First Time Grower
I would agree with Don, I doubt it would be the seed. Also as your sprouting them on white kitchen towel its going to show every detail up.
I would remove the germinated seeds and some of the healthy looking seed and bin the rest.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Lets ask a few questions: is your water filtered, soft hard? What kind of paper towel? Any type of accelerator? Any odd scents? Where are your seeds from? Some commercial seeds can have coating such as fertilizers. Some kitchen paper products can be made from corn starch or other grain pulps which can mold. (Wet corn starch products in particular can mold in purple). It is possible it is also just a random mold spore or yeast spore from the air. Any food products been prepared near your seeds? Also, the purple off color could be from the seed casing. The brown color might. Just bleed off the color purple.

FALaholic

I would believe that the seeds had a coating that caused the coloration. It looked more like color run off than mould. As far as the questions to surmise what caused this. The only rebuttal I can give is that there were 4 separate controls; the only difference were the seeds.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
If the mold is only growing around the seeds, there were spores on the seeds before you stored them.

I'd try germinating on a soil-less mix. The peat moss in the mix has a ph too high to support mold growth. You can also use a super fine dusting of sphagnum moss (old fashioned worm bedding) over the seeds after they germinate.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
What will the mold hurt if he moves the sprouts from the paper towels to the flats?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Good question...It'll make the tobacco purple?

I give up...what will it hurt?

I don't know, that's why I was asking you. :) I seeded direct to soil last year and had what looked like mold form on the surface of the soil, but it never spread to the plants. (it could also have been minerals rising to the top)

Brown Thumb

I have had fuzzy mold grow on my dirt also when sprouting seeds. I thought it was normal due to the warmth and high humidity.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Keep going, you might come up with a mold resistant strain that won't even mold when color curing in rainy weather. :rolleyes:

DGBAMA

I had some mold/fuzzy growth in mygermination trays also, but once the plants were divided into cells it never reappeared. No harm, no foul i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.