Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cold weather in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

skychaser

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=weather&id=9355714

WASHINGTON -- Feeling chilly? Here's cold comfort: You could be in East Antarctica which new data says set a record for "soul-crushing" cold.

Try 135.8 degrees Fahrenheit below zero; that's 93.2 degrees below zero Celsius, which sounds only slightly toastier. Better yet, don't try it. That's so cold scientists say it hurts to breathe.

A new look at NASA satellite data revealed that Earth set a new record for coldest temperature recorded. It happened in August 2010 when it hit -135.8 degrees. Then on July 31 of this year, it came close again: -135.3 degrees.

The old record had been -128.6 degrees, which is -89.2 degrees Celsius.

Ice scientist Ted Scambos at the National Snow and Ice Data Center said the new record is "50 degrees colder than anything that has ever been seen in Alaska or Siberia or certainly North Dakota."

"It's more like you'd see on Mars on a nice summer day in the poles," Scambos said, from the American Geophysical Union scientific meeting in San Francisco Monday, where he announced the data. "I'm confident that these pockets are the coldest places on Earth."

However, it won't be in the Guinness Book of World Records because these were satellite measured, not from thermometers, Scambos said.

"Thank God, I don't know how exactly it feels," Scambos said. But he said scientists do routinely make naked 100 degree below zero dashes outside in the South Pole, so people can survive that temperature for about three minutes.

Most of the time researchers need to breathe through a snorkel that brings air into the coat through a sleeve and warms it up "so you don't inhale by accident" the cold air, Scambos said.

On Monday, the coldest U.S. temperature was a relatively balmy 27 degrees below zero Fahrenheit in Yellowstone, Wyo., said Jeff Masters, meteorology director of the private firm Weather Underground.

"If you want soul-crushing cold, you really have to go overseas," Scambos said in a phone interview. "It's just a whole other level of cold because on that cold plateau, conditions are perfect."

Scambos said the air is dry, the ground chilly, the skies cloudless and cold air swoops down off a dome and gets trapped in a chilly lower spot "hugging the surface and sliding around."

Just because one spot on Earth has set records for cold that has little to do with global warming because it is one spot in one place, said Waleed Abdalati, an ice scientist at the University of Colorado and NASA's former chief scientist. Both Abdalati, who wasn't part of the measurement team, and Scambos said this is likely an unusual random reading in a place that hasn't been measured much before and could have been colder or hotter in the past and we wouldn't know.

"It does speak to the range of conditions on this Earth, some of which we haven't been able to observe," Abdalati said.

webmost

August 2010 -135.8 degrees
July 31 2013: -135.3 degrees

Positive proof of global warming

Settled science.

winston-smoker

Started snowing at 8 AM in the NYC metropolitan area this morning. Three to six inches predicted before changing to rain tomorrow morning. Some areas of the northeast are going to get much higher accumulations. North-central MA and southern NH, where my relatives live, is supposed to get 18+ inches, last I heard.

Sadly the weather here in Montana is warming up, last week it was around 0 F and below, but this week its around 30 F and above. Looks like I'll have to find a chest freezer to keep making apple jack.

bonehead

on december 20th my son should show up at bradley airport from johnston atoll. he was praying to come home to snow. i was praying for nicer weather. with the snow comeing down now and what is expected he will be happy. i can't wait to see him and him to get his winter wishes but i don't wan't to clean up this s##t. i guess if i was on tropical islands for the last 7 months i wouldn't mind snow. i can only hope he dosen't grab some snowmobiles and head north as soon as he gets home because the snow mite melt. after being in maine for four years of college he want's to see his friends. a short visit would be nice.

webmost

Snow coming in again tonight. We've already had twice what we got all last year.

winston-smoker

Snow coming in again tonight. We've already had twice what we got all last year.

O, you're just full of good news!:rolleyes:

By the way, the weekend snow storm dumped "only" 9 inches on Fitchburg, Mass. according to my uncle -- that's only half of the accumulation that was projected before the storm.

Brown Thumb

We only got 8 in. And it was heavy snow. Sucks to clear out the house with a 2000 ft driveway and I cannot plow it due to my wife will kill me if I get rocks in the grass. I have to use my small tractor.
then I proceed over to the shop and clear another road with 10 houses on it which I own the road, easement for them.
a whole day wasted for chit that will melt.
Now another 3 to 6 inches coming tonight . WTF was I thinking when I bought, built these places. I am too old for this crap.

Boboro

Onley a few more years till it will almost never snow there. The planit is warmin at a rapid pace.:)

winston-smoker

We got 3 or 4 inches on Saturday, with a change to rain around midnight. By morning, a slushy mess; by Sunday evening, anything that hadn't been shoveled was turning into ice. And it's not even officially winter yet! At least I can look forward to my retirement in Puerto Rico ... "only" 16 years left to go.

FALaholic

Its 61oF here, right now, and I'm freezing my butt off.
Next year I'll be sure to switch my blood to 20W-50, cause 5W-10 ain't cutting it with this weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.