Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Organic Compost, Manure, Human Sludge, I will pass. Use Caution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

This is a big deal in my twp. at the moment where I live. I do work for the Septic division at the shop, different twp. and asked some of the guys I know about it. They are only allowed to put x,y,z back into the river and the bad stuff gets hauled out and turned into this crap. Just a heads up. Planting season not too far away.
I could not copy and past it for some reason.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.sludgefacts.org/Ref123.pdf&chrome=true

Knucklehead

Founding Member
What's twp?
Are those waste products labeled as compost or organic fertilizer or something else?

Brown Thumb

What's twp? Township that's the town I live in.
Are those waste products labeled as compost or organic fertilizer or something else?
They want to spread this crap on the fields.
Yes labeled as organic and compost when bought in stores.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
This is the stuff left over from sewage plants that the bacteria won't eat. I've been told its filled with heavy metals (us people eat some weird shit). I used to be in construction and did a lot of hardscapes (stone walls, terraces, etc.) and had two tandems of "topsoil" brought in. I could smell that shit coming down the road and told a couple of guys next to me "they better not be bringing that shit here". Sure as shit, in rolls two tandem trailers loaded with "Tech-na-loam" (or some shit) (detecting a theme yet?).

Anyway, I wouldn't put that shit in my worst enemy's yard let alone a paying customer. The driver had absolutely no problem with me rejecting the loads.

viewer

RyanM22

Branded sludge? Sounds awful

Gives 'organic' a bad name

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
What's twp?
TWP = Township. A township is what the frontier states like Ohio were divided into. Townships have their own governments, but cities and villages within these townships have or can have more restrictive laws.

Basically, a township is a unit of measure of about 6 miles squared.

winston-smoker

Not just frontier states. There are townships in the original 13 states too. Another member here lives in Colonia, New Jersey, which is part of Woodbridge Township. And when I lived in New York State for six years, I lived in a village that was part of a larger township.

skychaser

This is the stuff left over from sewage plants that the bacteria won't eat. I've been told its filled with heavy metals

Yup. Heavy metals and pharmaceuticals that don't get removed.

The country had a great idea here in the 90's. "Clean green" compost they called it. They built a big composting facility about 10 miles north of me where they took in leaves, grass clippings and wood that was chipped and all mixed together. Then they sold it for dirt cheap for garden compost. They place stunk so bad you couldn't believe it. It was a mile off the highway but the smell was so bad you gagged driving by. It was a stink like no other. The people who lived in the area all sued the county, and the county ended up buying out a dozen property owners who lived within 2 miles.

My sis had built a new house during that time so my Dad got several pickup loads and put on her new garden spot. But the chemicals on the grass clippings didn't break down and the compost killed half of what you tried to grow in it. It took 4-5 years before she could grow things like peas and beans and other plants sensitive to herbicides. After 4-5 years they closed it all down. They still take "clean green" material at the garbage transfer centers before the garbage goes to the county incinerator. But they don't burn the "clean green" material. It gets loaded onto trucks and is hauled 500 miles to a facility in SW Oregon. Cost us tax payers millions for this disaster and we are still paying for it.

Markw

I have to agree with Don and Sky on this, it is full of Heavy metals and pharmaceuticals in the UK they have strict regulations on the use of it on farm land
It needs to be tested before it can be used. I would never use this stuff. They are even talking about testing horse manure for pharmaceuticals used it treatment.
Mind you they compost all your old food waste where I live, scrap Meat fish, all food gets composted. mind you they have so much of it they cant get rid of it.

TheNewestOldtimer

They want to spread this crap on the fields.
Yes labeled as organic and compost when bought in stores.

I thought you might want to know something about that...
At least in the US you CAN'T label human sludge "organic". There is only one loop hole and that is if you gross less then $5,000 annually. Then you can do what ever you want and call it organic.

Just so you know I am not blowing smoke "Sewage Sludge"[1] Listed under §205.601(j) (materials that are prohibited from organic farming)

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRDC5103312[1]

So you don't have to worry about this being in any of the food you buy at the store, but at the farmers market you might have to.

workhorse_01

I don't see how people use anything from meat eaters and expect not to contract diseases. I'm a firm believer in using manure, but from goats, chickens, horses, and rabbits. It works quite well. In my case a little too well this year on some varieties. It's hard to argue with 12' tobacco.:cool:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I don't see how people use anything from meat eaters and expect not to contract diseases. I'm a firm believer in using manure, but from goats, chickens, horses, and rabbits. It works quite well. In my case a little too well this year on some varieties. It's hard to argue with 12' tobacco.:cool:

I agree, with you,,,

if its a meat eater, it's poop will burn anything up you use it on,

DGBAMA

12' Baccy.........wow. must be a new plant self defense mechanism............growing as far up and away from the waterlogged dirt as possible. :rolleyes:

Brown Thumb

My 2012 crop was a big crop also. I used horse crap also.
2013 crop I figured there was plenty of fertilizer left
so I did not add any. Wrong Thought.
the only plants that that grew somewhat well was the Big Gem.
grfinny saw both and was like WTF happened this year.

workhorse_01

As soon as i can get back on the tractor i have a 2" layer across the whole garden spot to cut in. and my son has been stock piling more to cut in just before spring.
My 2012 crop was a big crop also. I used horse crap also.
2013 crop I figured there was plenty of fertilizer left
so I did not add any. Wrong Thought.
the only plants that that grew somewhat well was the Big Gem.
grfinny saw both and was like WTF happened this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.