Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco
Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

And I just thought I had a good start. Very nice. By comparison my seedlings now seem pathetic and just clinging on to life.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Here is what I have in plants . Some are ready some are still too small .
Check with me on plants sizes and what plants you need . .

Burley in different varietys tn 90 , 206 , 209 , 212
Bright Leaf

1 . Perique
2. VA 309
3. Maryland 609
4. Smyrna #9
5. Zimmer Spanish
6. Little Dutch
7. Silk Leaf ( Not Seeded )
8. Florida Sumatra
9. Penn Red
10. Havana 41 Limited
11. Yellow Twist Bud

13. Kelley Burley
14. Ergo Burley ( Seeds may be no good )
15. Ct Broad Leaf
16. Virginia Gold

18. Bursa
19. Comstock Spanish

22. Xanthi Yaka
23. Shirazi
24. Samsun
25. Monte Calme Yellow
26. Ottoman
27. Bolivia Black

29. Havana 142

34. Yellow Orinoco
35. Dominican Olor
36. Glessnor
37. Harrow Velvet
38. Jalapa
39. Machu Picchu
40. Mutki
41. Vuelta Abajo
42. Yellowdag
43. Silver River
44. Keller
45. Wisconsin Seed Leaf
46. Jamaica Wrapper
47. Aztec Rustica ( For My plantings )
48. Havana 38
49. Tasova
50. Hickory Pryor
51. Balikesir
52. Sacred Corn Planter Rustica
53. Yellow Pryor
54. Lonnies Havana
55. CT Shade
56. Monte Calme Burn
57. Manila Wrapper
58. Samsun Maden
59. Dixie Shade
60. Catterton ( Maryland )

61. Wisconsin 901
62. Paris Wrapper

63. Papante
64. MT Pima

65. Little Yellow
66. Golden Burley

67. Lancaster Seedleaf
68. Pennsylvania Red (NP) ( Still small )

69. Lonnies Havana

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Transplants from BigBonner

Today my transplants from BigBonner arrived in two large flat rate USPS Priority Mail boxes. Inside, all the contents were enclosed within a plastic bag that included an open, labeled gallon Zip Lock of each of the many varieties, and a number of moist paper towels. Within each Zip Lock, the root balls were wrapped together well in wet paper towels. All of the seedlings looked thicker, sturdier and better developed than my own carefully nurtured seedlings.

When I requested my seedlings, I specified the number of extras I desired for each variety. BigBonner being the sort of guy he is, there were not only the required number of each variety plus the requested extras, but there were also some extra extras.

Garden20130517_614_BBseedlingsInZip_400.jpg

Since the afternoon was overcast, I decided to plant as many as I could. Since each transplant will get a cup of water, I filled a 5 gallon bucket half way, and hauled it, with a measuring cup, out to the first bed.

Garden20130517_615_BBseedlings_bucket_trowel_400.jpg

For transplanting, I use a small garden trowel that makes a narrow, deep hole just the right size for a transplant. The plant bed had been fully dug and prepared ahead of time.

BigBonner's seedlings are hardy and thick, with a well developed root system.

Garden20130517_616_BBseedlings_roots_400.jpg

Since the seedlings have usually curved during shipment (to aim at the USPS definition of "up"), the seedling is planted with the root ball going straight into the soil, leaving the top curved. This should take care of itself in a day or two. If there is any sun, the bag of seedlings is kept close to the bucket, in its shadow. I remove only one seedling at a time, leaving the rest in their wet paper towel nest inside the bag.

Garden20130517_618_BBseedlings_plantedWCurve_400.jpg

After digging the hole and inserting the seedling, the surrounding soil is crumbled and compacted well. From the bucket, I draw one cup of water...

Garden20130517_620_BBseedlings_cupOfWater_400.jpg

...then simply dump it on the transplant. I do this following the insertion of each plant, to minimize the stress to the roots.

Garden20130517_621_BBseedlings_wateredTransplant_400.jpg

The cup of water also serves to transport bits of soil down to the roots, improving their soil contact.

Some care should be used in removing each seedling from the bag, making sure to untangle any of the leaves. If the growth tip is snapped off, you can still plant it (and end up with a sucker plant), but if you have extras, just toss any broken one. I managed to break one out the 64 that I planted today. I'll get the remainder in the ground tomorrow. Meanwhile, all the remaining bags of plants have been stood upright in their respective bags, covered with the top paper towels, and the outer bag of each shipping box loosely closed.

If I need to hold any seedlings for more than overnight, I will allow them some early morning sun, and remoisten the paper towels.

Bob

Last edited:

BigBonner

Founding Member
Great pictures !
I see they crooked from shipping . They should be planted just like your picture . They will straighten up .

The gravity pull cause them to crook . You can pull a tobacco plant and lay it on its side out of the sun in a cool room and come back in a hour and it will have already started the curve upward .

They are still tender as I can not seem to get them to harden off with this unusually cool cloudy spring .Harden plants will still crook during shipping but not quite as bad .
I don't know if a person can ship plants and have them shipped pointed up like they should be .I do know that UPS and USPS toss boxes when sorting .

BigBonner

Founding Member
Larry;
Are 54 and 69 the same?

I swear it has been a long day . I do have two Lonnies havanas listed . I knew I had two Penn red's listed and I automatically thought that was the two you was talking about .

Sorry for my confusion .and my future mistakes .

Ishi

I thought it was. Just giving you a hard time. Since this is a new list also thought it might remove some confusion later on.
Great job with all those plants and varieties.
Dan

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Those seedlings from tobaccoplants.co.uk don't look like they're ready to be shipped yet. BB's seedlings are too well developed to fit into those skimpy blister packs, and it would be costly and take up too much space to ship a significant quantity of seedlings in those packs of 5.

TobaccoPlantsUK_300.jpg

I suspect that my shipment would have required 4 or 5 cartons, rather than 2. I suppose they are suitable for the curiosity grower.

Bob

DonH

In my experience from last year with BigB's seedlings, I had some more plants than I was able to immediately plant, so I dug another plot which took a while. The seedlings thrived in the open ziplocs for weeks in a few cases. I did transplant most to small plots while waiting for the plot to be ready but I was amazed by how well the few remaining ones did in their original bag. You just have to keep the paper moist.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I have some BB seedlings on order. My mind is firmly made up that my personal production plants will all be from Larry next year. I hate indoor farming. Hate it. And seeing Bob's pictures has just reinforced my reasons why. I can't produce plants that look that good.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have some BB seedlings on order. My mind is firmly made up that my personal production plants will all be from Larry next year. I hate indoor farming. Hate it. And seeing Bob's pictures has just reinforced my reasons why. I can't produce plants that look that good.

Wallace . I will fill that one and ship Monday .I prefer to not ship Friday or Saturday . Shipping early in the week allows the plants to get where they are going and don't have to sit that extra day at the Post Office .

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Wallace . I will fill that one and ship Monday .I prefer to not ship Friday or Saturday . Shipping early in the week allows the plants to get where they are going and don't have to sit that extra day at the Post Office .
Thanks Larry. There's no rush. Just do the thing you do so well. And thank you very much.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
BigBonner where is a there a link that i can buy seeds or plants from you i went to your website and only seen the tobacco leaves

You have to send him a PM. When he is ready to fill your order, he will send you a Paypal invoice via e-mail. The seedlings run between $1.50 - $2.00 each depending on variety. He will need an e-mail address to send the invoice to, plus a mailing address where you want the seedlings shipped. I set up my Paypal account with two options, one has a credit card attached, the other option is through Bill Me Later. Bill Me Later will send you an invoice once a month, and the interest is cheaper than most credit cards.

BarG

Founding Member
You know Bonner did that to me last year,:cool: I ordered 36 plants total and he sent me 48, along with some wicking soil and good tobacco fertilizer. Every single one looked better than mine.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
sounds like bonner's, plants are doing fine this year.

how about a recent pic, big-bonner, of your floating set-up. and all your trays with the seedlings,

Status
Not open for further replies.