Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigMikeChevy

woohoo guys my plants and whole leaf came in from BigBonner yesterday and dam they look good. thanks so much Mr Bonner for taking the time to produce these for us. I am a newbie looking to start my tobacco patch and this was one of the best ideas to date (ordering). I did finally get some seed to germinate (definately a learning curve involved) but the 6 week waiting period it takes from seed to plant kinda sitting here like a humming bird so much energy and no where to go. now that i have starts I'll get them in and see what I can get done this year. even if my seed dont make it Ill have the ones started by Big Bonner. I do see only one issue I dont have enough room to plant some of each plant on that list that i chose from but Big B was nice enough to give me an Idea on what to plant after I told him what I was interested in smoking. Im going to do some research on what Im going to plant next year and Im game to pre order BigBonner.
can anyone do a newbie a big favor a list of what is cigar, cigarette, chew, pipe names of plants and nicotine content. I know Its already here some where because (this ftt site seems to have everything thanks FM) but Im having trouble finding it. this would be a good place to start for a new guy to easily make decisions on what to plant based on the above.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Congrats on the plants BigMike. My BB plants made me decide to give up seeds. Nice plants. ARS-Grin database has the info you need. They list nicotine and whether the plant is a Burley, Oriental, Binder, Wrapper, etc. There's something like 2500 tobacco varieties maintained by GRIN and that doesn't come close to being all of them. No way a member is going to sit down and list them all. About all any of us can do is read what other people like or recommend, study what sounds interesting to us on the GRIN database and the forum and try to get samples from other members to try them out before you go to all the trouble of growing them, or like some of us, have a large variety list the first few years, growing 2 or 3 sample and taste plants of each variety you are intested in. Another way is to buy some whole leaf and find the blends you like, then grow the varieties in those blends. Now, asking whats the best tobacco variety for pipes or cigars is liable to get a big fight started cause we all have our own ideas about that, it's just a matter of preference. It's the "tastes great" and "less filling" kind of thing. Cigarettes, you're pretty safe growing Virginia Bright, Burley TN90 and Izmir Ozbas. Anybody that doesn't like that combo is crazy. (watch what happens now) :eek:

workhorse_01

Another idea for you is to go to new hope seed and rare seed on the web and look at the types that you have those fine folks have listed their varieties and done the legwork for you as far as for information.

Status
Not open for further replies.