Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBob

Founding Member
Early this spring I bet My tobacco farm on my new friend Larry a real tobacco farmer. I had him start my tobacco seedlings. I did not plant a single seed myself this year, I ordered my seedlings from him instead.

I really did'nt have the proper greenhouse to do it myself and I reasoned that he could do a much better job than I could, Heck he can start 150,000 at a time I figgered he knows what he is doing. I also reasoned that the seedlings should ship alright in the mail as chickens are commonly shipped in the mail!

The seedlings arrived on thursday in 2 usps flat rate boxes and they all looked just fine! 100% survived the trip and they all planted just fine also. The guy nex to me at the post office was picking up 2 boxes of chickens!!

I am a believer now. For me it was the right decision and will do it again.

Dr.Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
Drbob

Great to hear that the plants are doing good . I like shipping the plants from the float beds . They keep the plants alive and makes a good root ball for planting .

I have plenty of plants left .
I have several different varietys .

Anyone who needs plants let me know .

Larry

BigBonner

Founding Member
Fmgrowit

I have some . They are small . How many do you need ?

They are out of the seed I recieved from you . I didn't seed very much as my green house was almost full and I was wanting to get my Conn Broad Leaf trays seeded .

BigBonner

Founding Member
Fmgrowit

I'll see what I can do . I think you have had the same rains we had . Its been dry & 91 degrees yesterday and today . I need dry weather But not the hot , hot stuff .

I sewed the Brusa seed accross the float trays . I would take about a quart and a half of the soil and mix seeds in it then sew accross the trays . This worked good but I didn't have a good a stand as I thought I would . I did the same thing with Havanna and had to thin out some plants .But over all this worked good .

How big do they have to be ? I just counted . I have around 250 more or less .they range from 2 inches tall to ready to plant 5 inches .These look the best plant weise .

Will a 100 or so do you any good ? If so I will ship them tomorrow morning .

Larry

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
If you can spare 100, that would be fine. Send me the smaller plants, they'll catch up. I'm going to see what a late starting of seeds will do. They might do as good as early starts since there's no cool weather to slow them down. Let me know the cost for plants and shipping.

Last edited:

BigBonner

Founding Member
I cant win for loosing .

I was setting tobacco last friday when a big storm came up as I was finishing a four acre field . It rained 1.75 inches in about 20 minutes .We had 3/4 inch hail .
We went home fast and no sooner than I got in the dooor BOOM a big bolt of lightning hit our house or close to it . I can't find where it exactly hit , But it killed every phone we had , killed my tv , kicked breakers in the house and knocked out my eithernet , blowed fuses in my barn leading to my greenhouse .The wind even blowed big trees down .

The water and wind took it toll on my tobacco .

PfTgN.jpg

KtGhR.jpg

Last edited:

BigBonner

Founding Member
I must not be living right or something . 1 Mile up the road they only had a little wind and 2 tenths of rain . Last year it would rain a few miles away and I would get nothing .

Does anyone want a tobacco and cattle farm . At times I feel like quitting .

Lakota

Founding Member
Larry if I was you I would buy a lotto ticket. Your luck has got to change sometime soon. Hope you get better weather there Russ

DrBob

Founding Member
My plants from mr big's seedlings are doing fantastic! I placed an order with bigbonner for next year's plants this morning. I will never plant my own seeds again I will leave that to the expert. The seedlings ship well in the mail. It is the ONLY wat to go.
Dr.Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Marklpn2rn09,
Welcome to the forum. If you click on Private Messages, at the top left, you can send a PM to BigBonner, to directly request info from him on transplants and the varieties he'll have available.

Bob

nubaker

Drbob

Great to hear that the plants are doing good . I like shipping the plants from the float beds . They keep the plants alive and makes a good root ball for planting .

I have plenty of plants left .
I have several different varietys .

Anyone who needs plants let me know .

Larry

How do I go about getting a few plants? Growing for personal use. 6-12. Just getting started. Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.